Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
SOS Approach to Feeding

Has anyone done this program for their food-adverse kiddo?

Now that DS has been cleared for table food, all we can get him to eat are grapes and cheese slices. On occasion cheerios and puffs too. He refuses to be spoon fed anything.

It seems we've gone from a mechanical problem of aspirating --> mechanical problem not chewing --> behavioral issue of food aversion.

He's already in a 5 day/wk EI program, where he receives OT and ST. They've been working with him on chewing his grapes and cheese. I haven't been sending in anything else. Our new plan is to send in the finger foods that his sister eats (nuggets, falafel, mini empanadas) to see if he'll eat them at school.

But the Speech Pathologist who did our swallow studies suggested we look into the SOS Approach to Feeding. There's a center that does it about a half-hour away. I have a call in to them to get some info.

DS's ST and her supervisor said they'd be willing to carry over whatever the program requires into school hours.

I'd also be interested in hearing more about Food Chaining. For all I know, it's the same thing as SOS!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Alida
Registered Users
seller

Re: SOS Approach to Feeding

I have never heard of this.

my 3yo barely eats period I am lucky to get milk and a kids brownie cliff bar in him 3 times a day. I have been at my wits end with him as I have watched him decline into barley eating at all. Just had a horrible ped visit which was a total waste of time and have been desperate for any ideas so I will definitely be checking this out thanks so much for posting this cause I would not have heard of it any other way.
Alida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Alida
Registered Users
seller

I have never heard of this.

my 3yo barely eats period I am lucky to get milk and a kids brownie cliff bar in him 3 times a day. I have been at my wits end with him as I have watched him decline into barley eating at all. Just had a horrible ped visit which was a total waste of time and have been desperate for any ideas so I will definitely be checking this out thanks so much for posting this cause I would not have heard of it any other way.
Alida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a combo of SOS and chaining. The therapists we use also have an understanding of ABA therapy and use that to encourage him to eat.
For example:
We got to the point that he would eat canned chicken. So now we send in shredded chicken (food chaining- it's when you take a food they do eat and change it slightly to be something new, whether the change is in form, texture, flavor, etc.) They put the food on a plate and encourage him to touch the food. To start they might separate it into 5 pieces and use the food to count, encouraging to touch each piece as they count. Then they would have him pick up the pieces and move them to a different bowl or something. He is now working on "kissing" the food...the next steps would be to put the food in his mouth, then chewing, then swallowing. This happens over time, over many sessions for some kids. He is highly reinforced when he does any of these things...if we tell him to kiss the chicken and he does it he gets a lot of praise and a bite of a food he DOES like. In that way, the food he does not like can become associated with food he does like.

we do try to "sneak" good things into his diet, but this is the stuff he does during food therapy and he has had some success with it. This is all done at his autism center with both an SLP and OT that have training in this area.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote