Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Milk Supply Dwindling All of a Sudden

This is so stressful and I'm feeling extremely discouraged. I had SOOO much breast milk trouble with my first 2 LOs. My new LO is 2.5 months and I've felt like the queen of the pump up until the last few days. I've been EPing since the beginning with this one and getting around 35 oz per day. For the last 5 days it has gone down down down until now I've only got about 27 oz. I'm so discouraged and I hope someone can help.

Things that have changed in the last few days:

1. We were in a hotel M-F this week and I forgot one of the parts for my pump so I had to pump one breast at a time. I normally double pump.

2. The hotel had a great pool so I started swimming 15 laps. NEVER swam before. Total beginner. Milk started dwindling almost immediately. Thought maybe I needed more calories cuz I had heard that swimming burns a lot of calories. So, I ate more, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe I should actually track what I'm eating to make sure I'm eating enough?

3. At the same time as beginning swimming I bought a new larger set of breast shields for my pump because I have been having pain. I think maybe they were too big and weren't being as efficient. So, I'm back to the 27mm today but it doesn't seem to be helping yet. Will keep doing this to see if it helps.

Today I've drank 6 bags of Mothers Milk tea. I can't have grains so oatmeal is out. I've tried to eat more calories. Went swimming today, so I may have shot myself in the foot. Drank LOTS of water.

I just pumped 4 oz in 20 min when I usually pump 5-6 oz in 12 min.

Trying to train for a triathlon in November so I've got to keep exercising/swimming. So, I've got to figure this out.

So sad and discouraged. Please help.

Advertisement

CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Milk Supply Dwindling All of a Sudden

I bet it was having to single pump...there's a good chance you can get your supply back up! Are you pumping until the milk stops flowing, pausing to hand express, and then pumping again until a few minutes after teh milk stops? That really helped increase my supply.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
I bet it was having to single pump...there's a good chance you can get your supply back up! Are you pumping until the milk stops flowing, pausing to hand express, and then pumping again until a few minutes after teh milk stops? That really helped increase my supply.
Thank you! I haven't but I will start right away. What about hand expressing makes the milk start flowing again? How long should I hand express?

What about having a single pump would make me have less milk? This is my first experience pumping so I don't know all the ins and outs.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Sometimes hand expression can help stimulate another letdown - not really sure why, but, it works for me and I have heard other moms say the same thing! I forgot to add that olive oil really helped me both with pain while pumping and the scent helped me relax and letdown better...I've heard of moms using coconut oil as well.

I'm not sure the scientific reason why double pumping works better, but, I know personally and from most otehr people I know who pump(ed) that they always got more double pumping. However much you can empty your breasts helps them know to make more milk...so if you weren't fully emptying them, your breasts would have been signaled to make less milk. The good news is by "dry" pumping you will signal them to make more! ;-)

I'm confident you can get your supply back up...especially since you are being proactive about it!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try power pumping! For one hour, pump ten minutes on, ten minutes off.

(.Y.)exclusive pumper alumni(.Y.)
member of BWI of Hampton Roads, ask me about babywearing!
Laylas_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree about the single pump vs. double. However, your milk supply is regulated by hormones during the first couple months. After that it becomes supply & demand. I don't think the demand is a problem for you because it sounds like you've been keeping up with pumping. What I am saying, is that, it's normal to see a slight drop around this time. And around 2-4 months your hormones will level out, thus, your supply will level out. I would not be concerned about it mama! If you do feel like you are not making enough for your babe, I suggest the More Milk Plus drops or capsules vs. the tea. The tea is really not as effective towards increasing supply in comparison to the drops or capsules. HTH's!

My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote