Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Cosmetic surgery" for kids

Ask a preschooler if she wants surgery?

My opinion on that is that it is the parent's decision. A child that age is not old enough to understand the risks, pros and cons, and be mentally prepared for the procedure and recovery. They are not able to make that decision.

Advertisement

jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my dd's have the same thing. My oldest is almost 6 now and still has it but it is not anything that causes any problems. If your doctor is not concerned then there is no need to get it fixed. Even if the belly button sticks out a lot the hole can be really tiny that it would never cause any issues. There is no risk in my dd's case that it would cause problems with the organs due to the size. It doesn't have to be done in all kids at age 4 or 5. There is a huge range in size of the hole. If they feel like it is something that is medically necessary that is one thing but they don't all have to be operated on.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-11-2012 at 10:04 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would lean towards repair, after getting 2 surgeons to independently reccommend it. If either or both say its ok to wait and see, and my gut said that's ok... that's what id do.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879
I would lean towards repair, after getting 2 surgeons to independently reccommend it. If either or both say its ok to wait and see, and my gut said that's ok... that's what id do.
Eta hernia repair is not cosmetic.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies

Three thing is, is it *is* healing. The hole itself (which is what I check when I "mess" with it) has gotten smaller, albeit slowly. It used to be comparable to a dime, now it's about half that size. Also, DH has the same thing, but it doesn't stick out as far (and the hole is big enough for my finger to go all the way through, so like a nickle.) Although it hurts him if I mess with it too much, maybe it's been irritated over the years? It's never been brought up in any physicals and I'm not a doctor, lol.

I'm curious about the pregnancy thing (strange I always think about my son being an adult but not my daughter... She's my baby! Lol). If anything it's this that will make me change my mind, but it's gonna take some convincing...I've heard repairing them before pregnancy can actually cause more problems because of the stretching and possible tearing from the scar tissue? And some women don't even have problems with them during pregnancy... Or am I reading something out of context?

Last edited by LillyIvy; 06-12-2012 at 12:41 AM.
LillyIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #26
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a hernia in that area during my pregnancies and it wasn't a problem.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury
I got a hernia in that area during my pregnancies and it wasn't a problem.
Developing a hernia during pregnancy is a different kind of hernia. With ANY opening in the abdominal wall, there is a chance of strangulation (when bowel gets stuck, blood flow is decreased or interrupted, and the bowel dies=emergency surgery bc is life threatening). As the hole gets smaller and the child gets bigger and starts eating more foods which catch easily like nuts and fruit skins, this chance can increase. When you reduce (push the hernia back in) you are making sure the bowel is not caught up and you should definitely continue! Most umbilical hernias fix themselves in toddlerhood. I personally would fix it. Maybe you could combine it with another procedure (ear tubes, teeth work, taking some crazy toy outta their ear or nose) if the opportunity arose. Bc it's a pretty low risk condition I guess you can weigh the perceived risk of leaving it vs the small rare risks of fixing it-it's what YOU can live with momma!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

if its just cosmetic I would leave it be for now. If when she gets older she is bothered by its appearance then I would revisit the option
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...I guess it depends on her feelings.

I knew every kid who had an out-y and yes people did make fun of them. Now how badly it made them feel, I would have no clue. They didn't act all that upset and it wasn't made to be a BIG deal, but yes the kids did notice. It was mostly something new that most people had never seen so K-6 is the time most people notice them.

If it isn't a serious hernia at this point, meh, no biggie. If there is a possibility of complications, meh, fix it. Fixing small hernias are relatively uncomplicated and I'm not really sure I'd call this cosmetic.

When I read the thread title I thought you were talking about boob jobs and lipo or something else I would clearly define as cosmetic.

I had a mole removed from my face as a child. It wasn't hurting me. It didn't bother me, but it was starting to spread across my face and my mom had it checked out thinking it might be cancerous. It wasn't, but we had it removed because it just didn't look good. It turns out that there was a cyst growing underneath it and that was causing the spreading, but we didn't know that before cutting into it (and neither did the dermatologist who did the biopsy).

I would totally classify my surgery as cosmetic, but I chose to do it and it wasn't really all that big a deal. It could be the same for your DD when she feels ready to do this surgery.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wpuld be worried that th whole is getting smaller but that the bowel could become entrapped.