Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

questions about tandem nursing

I'm nursing my 2 year old DD and my 2 week old DS. DD wants to nurse almost every time that DS nurses. DS sometimes nurses from both sides though--so should I have DD wait until he nurses from both sides before letting DD nurse (so that I'm "saving" that milk for DS)? What about when DS is sleeping and I know he'll be waking up soon (because he's been sleeping for awhile) and DD wants to nurse...should I have her wait until DS has nursed before letting her nurse?

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: questions about tandem nursing

I have a 3 week old DD and a 2 yo DS lol. Most of the time DD is taking one side only, so I just alternate boobs between the kids. If a nursing session happens really close to another one and DD still seems hungry after one side, I just switch her to the other side after, but I don't worry too much about it. She is gaining weight well and my body is compensating for two just fine.
DS seems to understand that the baby HAS to nurse and that he must wait sometimes, but he gets upset. What I have started doing instead is putting the baby down when she is fed and happy and offering to let DS nurse, then he gets my undivided attention and I do not have to worry about the baby shrieking mid-nursing session because she is hungry/wants attention. This is working out much better this way and DS is usually fine when DD needs to nurse next. Hope that helps you! We are still just figuring it all out too!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

if you don't have any supply issues it shouldn't be a problem. your breast doesn't really empty, so the only real difference is baby would just be getting all hind milk on the second side. as long as baby is satisfied after feeding I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: questions about tandem nursing

Thank you both very much! That all helps a lot.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote