Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food Allergies

DS1 was tested and is allergic to pretty much everything according to it...
Wheat
Soy
Corn
Eggs
Tomato
Coconut
Peanut
Walnut
Pecan
Almond
Sesame

But, the wheat, eggs and corn are very low levels, so we just have those in moderation rather than suddenly cutting everything completely. But the soy, coconut, pecan, walnut and peanut are all extremely severe and we have an epi-pen for those.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
DS1 was tested and is allergic to pretty much everything according to it...
Wheat
Soy
Corn
Eggs
Tomato
Coconut
Peanut
Walnut
Pecan
Almond
Sesame

But, the wheat, eggs and corn are very low levels, so we just have those in moderation rather than suddenly cutting everything completely. But the soy, coconut, pecan, walnut and peanut are all extremely severe and we have an epi-pen for those.
Coconut, really? My dd is also allergic to coconut (and peanuts) it is a rare allergy. We carry an epi for peanuts. We don't know what kind of reaction she'd have to coconut because she has never had any direct contact. On her skin test she reacted worse then she did to cantaloupe. We know how she reacts to cantaloupe and know that its bad enough not to mess around with coconut. They put peanut, cantaloupe and coconut on the same side of her back. The peanut and cantaloupe were a retest (prev. tested 2 years earlier) we were hoping something might have change. That side of her back was a solid rash for 2 weeks after the test. And lucky us (being sarcastic) things did change- she no also allergic to dogs, cats and dust, she was prev negative for those.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhwbj1 View Post
We had our son tested for allergies today and they did a few food ones also. He tested positive for peanut, corn, soybean, and fish. The allergist said that the peanut and corn were not bad reactions, but the soybean and fish ones were. We are now having to change the way we eat and everything for little man. We are hoping this is the cause behind his constant diaper rash and ecsema(sp). So it looks like we have to cut out anything processed (which we were wanting to do anyways). I am needing some good cracker(goldfish or aunt annie's bunnies), snack type, and any other recipes you may have. He is a very picky 2 year old when it comes to food anyways, so I want this to be a smooth transition for him! Thanks so much!!!
Did they do skin prick testing or RAST testing? Our allergists have always refused to do skinprick for kids younger than 4, since their skin is so sensitive (too many false positives).

That said, DS, who is severely allergic to peanuts, tested allergic to soy at his first skinprick test at age 4. Since he ate soy products almost daily, I questioned it - the allergist told us that since soy and peanut are from the same plant family, it was common to get positive test reactions to both if the allergy to one was severe. This may be the case for your DS (a mild positive on the peanuts since he's seriously allergic to soy).

If you need to eliminate peanut butter, the best substitute we've found is Barney Butter - contains almonds, palm fruit oil, evaporated cane juice, and sea salt. Made in an "almond only" plant. Even my DSS, the die-hard Peter Pan lover, will eat it.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You may want to consider having actual food tolerance testing done before you change to much. Allergy testing skin or blood are not as definative as you might think. You can have very low level positives and have a more severe reaction. You can also test positive at a higher level and not be symptomatic. If you are going to eliminate you could test by reintroducing once you are symtom free. Having to eliminate foods cna be challenging and expensive and you do not want to do it unless you know he has a true allergy. Did the doctor give you an epi pen?
Yes this. Your allergist should have told you that skin & Rast (blood) testing is only 50% accurate. Kids with eczemea have a higher rate of false positives. There are false positives & false negatives. It should only be used as a guide/tool. You really need to do some food trials to see what his food allergies are.
For example my daughter tests negative to both skin & RAST testing but fails trials & is allergic to wheat, soy, milk, tomato & ana to banana. So before changing the whole family I would probe more. Any good allergist will suggest this