Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Couple basic chicken questions

So we recently bought 12 chickens. They are laying and doing well so far.

My questions-
1) Our chickens are young and their eggs are TINY. Will the eggs get bigger?

2) We are going camping for the weekend. We usually collect eggs twice a day - is it ok to miss a couple days?

3) How do you wash your eggs??? I've read different things online. Looks like some people say not to wash them at all. I've been putting them in the fridge not washed and then washing them in dish soap when we need them. I KNOW this isn't the best plan but I don't know what else I should be doing? We sold our first batch (to my mom) and she was freaked out that they aren't washed. (I washed hers for her ) She suggested maybe dipping them in bleach. Don't know that I want to do that though because we are on septic so I'd have to figure out where to dispose of the bleach and I *think* the eggs would then taste off??? SO what do I do???

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Egg size depends on bird size and breed. Small bird small eggs like in banties. When large breeds first start laying, 'pullet' eggs are common an may be small, large, misshapen, or double yolked.

Eggs not collected for a few days are fine! Some say they fine for over a week!

We spot clean our eggs with a damp rag then rinse before use. I would never bleach eggs as the shells are porous.

Last edited by newtwinmom; 06-07-2012 at 03:42 PM.
newtwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Couple basic chicken questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Yay!!! I'm tickeled they started laying!
My questions-
Like the pp said, they could be small due to being from young girls or it could be the breed.
2) We are going camping for the weekend. We usually collect eggs twice a day - is it ok to miss a couple days?
You should be just fine.
3) How do you wash your eggs??? I've read different things online. Looks like some people say not to wash them at all. I've been putting them in the fridge not washed and then washing them in dish soap when we need them. I KNOW this isn't the best plan but I don't know what else I should be doing? We sold our first batch (to my mom) and she was freaked out that they aren't washed. (I washed hers for her ) She suggested maybe dipping them in bleach. Don't know that I want to do that though because we are on septic so I'd have to figure out where to dispose of the bleach and I *think* the eggs would then taste off??? SO what do I do???
I hear that if you don't wash untill you plan on useing them, they keep longer. That's what w plan to do. Just spot wash untill it's time to wash and use. I also plan to store them on the counter. I'd be scared to use bleach. The pp is correct about them being porious. I'll be just useing some soapy water.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg

My questions-

The eggs will be fine if you dont get them a couple days, some might be broken though. As far as washing.. I always wash them if someone is buying them. I never wash ours until we use them. I let them soak in water for about 30 mins and just rinse them off. I dont use any type of soap, but they do make an egg cleaner if you feel the need to use something. If they are not cleaned they can sit on the counter for months. If you clean them, refridgerate them! There is a natural coating on them that keeps them good out (how do you think people did it back before electricity ..lol)
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Thank you everyone!

AND Sarah! Nice to see you around
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post

My questions-

I don't have a lot of experience yet but I've extensively picked my friend's brain. Wierd eggs are pretty normal for the first month or so. They could be "fart eggs" which are yolk-less, double yolkers or other oddities. It all settles down from what I'm told and they do get bigger and heavier.

My only worry about not collecting eggs is that they would break one accidentally and then get a taste for eggs. If you can't get a neighbor to collect them for you (hey-free eggs!) then I'd probably put extra bedding in there to cushion them.

Are you having problems with a lot of poop on your eggs? Why would you want to wash them? The unwashed eggs have a special coating on them that is naturally antibacterial and closes the pores on the eggs. These eggs actually have less liklihood of passing on bacteria or illness than the washed eggs. If they are poopy, I'd brush them off with a dry cloth and then wash with soap and water right before I used it.

If poop is a problem for you, I would consider your coop arrangements. Are they sleeping in the nest boxes? If they are, you'll need to figure out why. The roost should always be the highest perch in the coop and if it isn't, you need either a higher roost or to move the nest boxes to the floor.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
luvallmykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hehehe your mom sounds like my mom!!!! My mom thinks that the white store eggs are bleached white!!! She can't fathom that some birds lay brown eggs and some pure white!!! She is so funny!!!

I agree with PP in everything!! Try and find a neighbor to gather the eggs just once a day. Our chickens have gotten a taste of egg and now they will eat them if I don't get them in time. So you Definitely don't want that to happen!
luvallmykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

we leave our eggs on the counter most of the time and just wash before use...right now i have an over supply so i wahsed them and put them in the fidge this am...they wll be used either tomorrow or the next but i was just in a washing mood and actually had time and didnt have a baby in my hands so i went ahead and washed them
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Depends on the breed but mine got to full size around a year old. What breed did you get?

We trained ours with white rocks that are the size of eggs. They never get pecked that I know. Some people use golf balls.

3) How do you wash your eggs???
I don't wash mine. The bloom protects the egg from absorbing things. The shell is porous. If its really gross I wipe with a dry cloth or rinse in Warmer water than the egg to prevent the pores from absorbing what ever yuck I am trying to get off.