View Poll Results: Hybrid Diapers?
They're a total ripoff 19 20.88%
They are pricey but I do them anyway 8 8.79%
Cloth is the only way to go if you really care 64 70.33%
Disposable is the only way to go if you look at everything 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Well...
You could just put a prefold into the Flip cover... that's a lot cheaper. Prefolds last for ever and ever. And there's going to be baby poop on baby clothes at some point too so... heck you can even make prefolds out of tee shirts which can be cheap(er) or even free. There are also cheaper covers than Flip covers with almost the same options.
However, whatever you want to put on your kid's butt is fine, it's your kid.

Advertisement

yarrowwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
bigeyedfish
Registered Users
seller

Where are you getting the prices for the hybrid inserts? I don't understand how you (or someone) came up with those prices.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

thought that needed to be said... anyway aren't most of the inserts compostable or biodegradable? I'd like to see you try to compost a huggies.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
dannic
Registered Users

you need an "other" option on the poll...=)

I don't think it's evil corporation vs. the duped people, really. I think it's consumer driven. There is def. a market for hybrids. I use flips, but have never used the disposable inserts. There are tons of options in the cd market, and most people who go into cding research a whole lot before choosing a system that works for them. If I were a travelling/working mom that wanted to cd but still have a better environmental option for the travelling with babe, I'd def. go for disp. inserts for trips and then the cloth for at home.
Is this your first baby? After a few kids, you realize that poop is no biggie--if you wash your kids sheets when they spit up or wet, same with clothes, or for bleeding...no one throws those away or has issues with washing...
Seriously, cding is easy. You may find another option that works for you that is cheaper than hybrids...

Last edited by dannic; 06-14-2012 at 06:37 PM.
dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you have to look at what you want in a diaper and then that's your guide to what you decide to spend and get. Save money? Save environment? Save time? Less Chemicals? I agree for the price of some hybrid systems you could go with a great all-in-one. It really depends on what your goal is, hybrids aren't the only choice out there.

OliviaZachariahIsabella Psalm 139:13-14
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrowwind
Well...
You could just put a prefold into the Flip cover... that's a lot cheaper. Prefolds last for ever and ever. And there's going to be baby poop on baby clothes at some point too so... heck you can even make prefolds out of tee shirts which can be cheap(er) or even free. There are also cheaper covers than Flip covers with almost the same options.
However, whatever you want to put on your kid's butt is fine, it's your kid.
This. Or, use padfolded flats in the covers. These are very easy to wash.

ETA: I agree that it would be far better if hybrid inserts were cheaper.

Last edited by MadeofStarStuff; 06-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.
MadeofStarStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy24
thought that needed to be said... anyway aren't most of the inserts compostable or biodegradable? I'd like to see you try to compost a huggies.
My guess is he doesn't care about compostability/the eco side of cding as much as he cares about his time and the convenience of disposables. I read an article on breastfeeding that had the same argument: breastfeeding is free so long as the mother's time is worth nothing.

Such a lot of effort put into a post with, unfortunately, no thought put into where to post it.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldo

My guess is he doesn't care about compostability/the eco side of cding as much as he cares about his time and the convenience of disposables. I read an article on breastfeeding that had the same argument: breastfeeding is free so long as the mother's time is worth nothing.

Such a lot of effort put into a post with, unfortunately, no thought put into where to post it.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Yes to the bolded.

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum
Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have always thought that hybrids were ridiculously expensive- they should be cheaper but are not! eco friendly for the rich i guess....

It sounds like you would do very well with a diaper service- no waste of your time and you would save money. And at the same time, you would be doing alot for your baby and the planet's health- even though that does not appear to be a big concern of yours- it would be an added bonus. As my 6 year old would say "it is a win win"!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I think if cost is your primary factor then you 1) have your priorities a little out of order and 2) should use a system other than hybrids.

I personally don't use the disposable inserts. I personally don't use any disposable diapering products. I choose to use cloth because it is better for baby and better for the environment. Cost is not a factor, however, in the year that I have been cloth diapering the 14 month old that I keep during the week, I have cut his parent's disposable diaper bill in half! They have gone from using two cases of diapers a month to using one. That is 120 diapers a month not in a landfill. 120 changes a month that he does not have carcenogenic checmicals touching his reproductive organs. 120 changes a month that I do not have to worry about diaper rash, blowouts and leaks. That to me is well worth the two loads of laundry that I do every week.

I don't know why people think that cloth is hard but it is actually very easy - and a lot of fun. And it can be cost effective if you are willing to put a little effort into the process. You can buy a stash of prefolds and covers or flats and covers for about the cost of 1-2 weeks of diapers and use them forever. All that is required of you is a load of laundry. If the laundry piece is really THAT big of a deal to you maybe look into a diapering service. You dirty them, they wash them.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
IDDDSO: Charlie Banana XS and S in Lavendar!

Last edited by jessi4jc; 06-14-2012 at 06:55 PM.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote