View Poll Results: Hybrid Diapers?
They're a total ripoff 19 20.88%
They are pricey but I do them anyway 8 8.79%
Cloth is the only way to go if you really care 64 70.33%
Disposable is the only way to go if you look at everything 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
dannic
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,733
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

If t is trolling, isn't the best thing to just walk (click) away and ignore? Here's my naivete coming out: I had to search google for what trolling is, lol. I live in a happy place. (where everyone loves cloth diapers)

Advertisement

dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
TooBusyBearcubs's Avatar
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
My Mood:
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Also, if your intent was maybe to indirectly send a message to the manufacturers, you won't really be successful here, since most of the diaper gurus on DiaperSwappers are Work-At-Home-Moms who make GORGEOUS diapers, not really the bigwigs of the hybrid companies. Everybody else is a cloth loving mama or daddy.
__________________
Wife to Charming Caveman Mama to BamBam and BuggyBear
A quiet m/c 2/23/13
Resting on God's promises and listening for the "sunergei" of God's perfect symphony. Prayers greatly appreciated!
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
JeDeeLenae's Avatar
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vegas
Posts: 22,118
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbstanley3
Also, no one can rip you off if you choose not to buy their product. =) There are plenty of other options out there to use for diapering needs.
Completely agree. Not everyone does this for economics

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum
__________________
~Cassie~ Single Mom to Jordan 9/04 and Jaxon 6/06 and Kelli 10/08 and 1/11 and Jevin 12/11
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
ALNaturMom
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 283
My Mood:
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesdad View Post
Hi, we have been using disposable diapers for our 1-week old son. Looking at them, the sheer wastefulness is staggering: not only do we throw away a dozen diapers every day, but those diapers are usually only a little bit soiled in terms of both area dirtied and what they're soiled with (ie urine is not that big a deal).

So, we had this bright idea: use cloth diapers. But it quickly came up that we did not want to be burdened with washing endless poopy diapers just to be less wasteful.

A little research later, and I found the product I thought would solve both problems: hybrid diapers. Less waste, roughly the same amount of work, and - because you're buying a small insert instead of the whole diaper - lower cost. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, hybrid diapers make no sense. Let's take a look at their sorted prices (diaperjunction.com):
Huggies disposable diapers: $.28 each
Flip Diaper inserts: $.31 each
Grovia Biosoakers: $.38 each
gDiaper Biodegradables: $.40 each

The kicker is, of course, that not only are the hybrid inserts more expensive, but there are also other costs, such as the original holding diaper which costs as much as 50+ disposables itself, plus the detergent, water, and other costs of actually using the hybrids.

Now, I ask you, why would I pay more for something which gives me less? Not only is the product literally less material and craftsmanship, but it offers less utility in that I would now be washing the holding diaper and doing the work of putting in and removing the insert, whereas the disposable you just toss. For the privilege of doing more work, and getting less product, I'm going to pay more? That is totally bonkers.

The economics of hybrid diapers are fundamentally flawed.

Cloth diapers, of course, over the long haul are cheaper by 90% than disposable. If you're willing to do all the poopy laundry for ~2 years and assign your labor and sensibility no value, that is. Hybrid diapers, however, are priced so irrationally it's now no surprise that I've never once seen them on the shelves in a store - why would any consumer buy them?

The answer of course is that the product is entirely targeted at "yuppies" and "greenies" and other hypothetical consumers who the businesses in question believe to be devoid of any money sense or who are willing to pay more just to get some vague sense of eased conscience. That's sad really, because as I said, I was initially interested in the product precisely because I am environmentally conscious and wanted to do the right thing. But being ripped off by some company because they think I'm foolish enough to whimsically part ways with my money is insulting.

Inserts should be $.15-.20 each, maximum. I'm looking forward to buying them at that time. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing what possible rational explanation there could be from someone who has actually bought some of these and doesn't consider them a poor deal.

Anyone care to defend this gross fleecing of not only the consumer, but also the planet, by incentivizing us to choose continuing purchase of wasteful diapers over enriching a corporation who believes we will pay them more profit to not have a guilty conscience?

You should check out the Thrifty section. There are people who cloth diaper from birth through potty training for $100-$300. Your entire post comes across as bitter and angry. You don't have to agree with the choices of others. If you don't like hybrids, then don't buy any. We stick to prefolds for the cost and ease of washing them, and have some all-in-ones for the convenience factor. We started cloth diapering when our oldest developed food allergies at 1 month old. He would have explosive mucousy poops that would blow out of all disposable brands. The only thing that held the poop in was a prefold with a tight jellyroll and a Bummis super whisper wrap, or a Bumgenius all-in-one. If you want to look at our economics, look at the ruined $60 boutique outfits that were gifts from his grandmother from when he wore disposables that couldn't keep the poop inside the diaper. Cloth diapers are cheaper than a ruined wardrobe of fabrics that weren't made for poop.
ALNaturMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
Kabuki24's Avatar
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,446
My Mood:
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesdad View Post
Hi, we have been using disposable diapers for our 1-week old son. Looking at them, the sheer wastefulness is staggering: not only do we throw away a dozen diapers every day, but those diapers are usually only a little bit soiled in terms of both area dirtied and what they're soiled with (ie urine is not that big a deal).

So, we had this bright idea: use cloth diapers. But it quickly came up that we did not want to be burdened with washing endless poopy diapers just to be less wasteful.

A little research later, and I found the product I thought would solve both problems: hybrid diapers. Less waste, roughly the same amount of work, and - because you're buying a small insert instead of the whole diaper - lower cost. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, hybrid diapers make no sense. Let's take a look at their sorted prices (diaperjunction.com):
Huggies disposable diapers: $.28 each
Flip Diaper inserts: $.31 each
Grovia Biosoakers: $.38 each
gDiaper Biodegradables: $.40 each

The kicker is, of course, that not only are the hybrid inserts more expensive, but there are also other costs, such as the original holding diaper which costs as much as 50+ disposables itself, plus the detergent, water, and other costs of actually using the hybrids.

Now, I ask you, why would I pay more for something which gives me less? Not only is the product literally less material and craftsmanship, but it offers less utility in that I would now be washing the holding diaper and doing the work of putting in and removing the insert, whereas the disposable you just toss. For the privilege of doing more work, and getting less product, I'm going to pay more? That is totally bonkers.

The economics of hybrid diapers are fundamentally flawed.

Cloth diapers, of course, over the long haul are cheaper by 90% than disposable. If you're willing to do all the poopy laundry for ~2 years and assign your labor and sensibility no value, that is. Hybrid diapers, however, are priced so irrationally it's now no surprise that I've never once seen them on the shelves in a store - why would any consumer buy them?

The answer of course is that the product is entirely targeted at "yuppies" and "greenies" and other hypothetical consumers who the businesses in question believe to be devoid of any money sense or who are willing to pay more just to get some vague sense of eased conscience. That's sad really, because as I said, I was initially interested in the product precisely because I am environmentally conscious and wanted to do the right thing. But being ripped off by some company because they think I'm foolish enough to whimsically part ways with my money is insulting.

Inserts should be $.15-.20 each, maximum. I'm looking forward to buying them at that time. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing what possible rational explanation there could be from someone who has actually bought some of these and doesn't consider them a poor deal.

Anyone care to defend this gross fleecing of not only the consumer, but also the planet, by incentivizing us to choose continuing purchase of wasteful diapers over enriching a corporation who believes we will pay them more profit to not have a guilty conscience?
Althought I completely agree with you on the cost part of hybrids not making sense, you have no idea obviously how easy it is to wash diapers. Don't knock something until you try it. I spend 1/2 max MAX a week tossing dipes in the wash and stuffing them. It's easy. You've believing a cloth diaper myth.
__________________
DSMOMS for 5% off at My Sweet Pickles! Freebies and good deals always going on!
Find us on Facebook!
Kabuki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesdad View Post
The answer of course is that the product is entirely targeted at "yuppies" and "greenies" and other hypothetical consumers who the businesses in question believe to be devoid of any money sense or who are willing to pay more just to get some vague sense of eased conscience. That's sad really, because as I said, I was initially interested in the product precisely because I am environmentally conscious and wanted to do the right thing. But being ripped off by some company because they think I'm foolish enough to whimsically part ways with my money is insulting.
And I just want to address this one point since I think it is a gross misjudgment: IMO if you talk to companies like Cotton Babies (makers of Flips) and Grovia then they will tell you that cloth diaper users are probably some of the most cost conscious parents out there so I don't think they are trying to pretend that their diaper inserts are more affordable than disposable diapers. They are providing a convenience item and people always expect to pay more for convenience. Personally I think it was a little naive of you to expect any different especially since you overlooked the glaringly obvious difference between conventional disposables and biodegradable inserts which accounts for the price difference.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #37
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,983
I agree with PPs, the higher cost of hybrid is due to biodegrade-ability of the insert. To truly compare cost you must compare to biodegradable diapers. Of course, very little biodegrades in our nightmare landfills...they should really be composted.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
Kabuki24's Avatar
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,446
My Mood:
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
And I just want to address this one point since I think it is a gross misjudgment: IMO if you talk to companies like Cotton Babies (makers of Flips) and Grovia then they will tell you that cloth diaper users are probably some of the most cost conscious parents out there so I don't think they are trying to pretend that their diaper inserts are more affordable than disposable diapers. They are providing a convenience item and people always expect to pay more for convenience. Personally I think it was a little naive of you to expect any different especially since you overlooked the glaringly obvious difference between conventional disposables and biodegradable inserts which accounts for the price difference.
Well said.

And, I really think OP is a total troll!
__________________
DSMOMS for 5% off at My Sweet Pickles! Freebies and good deals always going on!
Find us on Facebook!
Kabuki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #39
junebug2311's Avatar
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic
If t is trolling, isn't the best thing to just walk (click) away and ignore? Here's my naivete coming out: I had to search google for what trolling is, lol. I live in a happy place. (where everyone loves cloth diapers)
I think trolls are really there to make people mad.. And once they are pointed out as trolls they don't have as much fun.
__________________
Mama to a sweet girl, Zoey
junebug2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #40
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Well said.

And, I really think OP is a total troll!
I think he is a troll too, my replies are for the benefit of those who might be researching diaper options and are thrown off by his illogical ranting.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.