Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
OatmealKisses
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone ever been seen at a OB residency practice?

The OB office I'm going to right now is a residency practice, because I'm on medicaid. I really hate this office. Most of the people treat you like dirt. They are the only high risk office in this area that takes medicaid though.

I don't even know who is going to deliver my baby. I never get test results. I never get time with the actual dr, just the residents. They never explain tests/procedures to you. They are over capacity with how many patients they see. Every appointment is over 2 hours. They reschedule you or don't get you in fast enough when you need to be seen because of having too many people.

Has anyone else been seen at a residency practice? What was your experience? Who delivered your baby? How were you treated?

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Has anyone ever been seen at a OB residency practice?

I delivered both babies at a large teaching hospital and saw residents during my stay in L&D and postpartum. I saw fewer residents during my prenatal checkups, but I was seeming primarily CNMs at those visits, and sometimes student midwives and nurses too. When I delivered, the on call OB was present as well as a resident. DD was caught by a resident, but the attended oversaw everything. I received excellent care and was treated with respect, rarely had to wait long. I don't think the problem is that there are residents involved with your care, just a lousy practice. I'd see if you can find anywhere else to accept you. What you describe doesn't sound acceptable at all.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 06-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
OatmealKisses
Registered Users
seller

There isn't any other high risk place that takes medicaid in this area.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
isaacsmum
Registered Users

If you're unhappy with the residents you've seen, can you request no residents be involved in your care? I know that I was always told upfront that that was an option if I wished. I didn't have to see residents if I didn't want to.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't be afraid to demand to treated with the respect you deserve. Don't feel like because you are on medicaid you're a lesser person.

I have worked in "public" assistance type places and know that the squeeky wheel gets the oil and the nice people who go along with the program get pushed. It's probably not because the dr/residence aren't capable and responsible, but because they're overworked. If you don't demand "it" you won't get it because there's something else the dr/resident has to do.

You can tell the practice, I want to see this person or not this person. I want to know the results of my exams and I demand that you explain what's going on until I understand it and I'm not leaving until I am satisfied.

But you have to be a proactive person. And for some that's not a comfortable thing to do.

Remember you are a person, and you deserve respect and appropriate medical care no matter what your financial status. Don't be afraid to demand the clinic provide you with the care and respect you deserve.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Skatha89
Registered Users

I go to a residency office right now but I love it. She's friendly and we can talk the whole appointment away and explains why she's doing anything and everything. She has no issue with my breast feeding DS still, and is a million times better than my old OB.

I'm sorry you don't like your treatment.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you call your insurance and ask if they'll approve an out of network provider after you explain the situation? otherwise you're just going to have to speak up- not the most fun thing but you can do it!

What about a regular OB? Will they not take you due to the high risk status?

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I belong to Kaiser, which is an integrated hospital system and HMO. I see regular docs for my prenatal visits but the residents deliver the babies. I'm not sure if they will let them deliver my twins but residents definitely delivered my DD. They did a fine job. The only thing that annoyed me is that I had my cesarian during shift change so one resident delivered the baby then another one took over to put everything back in and stitch me up. That seemed kid of ridiculous to me.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm military. Being hr I do have apts with the same dr but I usually see his residents. If I feel like they haven't answered my questions to my standards I ask to see him. Now when I deliver I get who ever is on call that day. It's just how it is. I had Kaiser when I was younger and had my first child. It's much like their care only I do see an Ob.