Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
wrapunzel
Registered Users
seller

When sauerkraut is too stinky?

This is the 2nd year I've done sauerkraut and boy my house is rank!!! I don't remember it smelling like this past year!! Is it too late and I have to throw it out or what??i did it Saturday by shredding it and stuffing in jars, then adding a salt water brine and putting the lids on lightly. Placed them on a cookie sheet and covered with a towel just like last year! I loved my home canned sauerkraut last year but I can't handle this smell!!!!!!

Advertisement

wrapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When sauerkraut is too stinky?

Is it really warm where you have it? Between MIL and I, we've been making kraut in the jars for about 10 years and some years it's stronger than others, depending on the temp. My SIL told me a trick to keep the temp a little more even was to put the pan in the electric oven and only take it out when we have to use it and put it back when the oven is cold again. It doesn't work with a as oven since it's warmer in there wit the pilot light. I've never done it with a salt water brine, though. I've always tamped it down with a wooden spoon and salted as I packed it really tight. Out of 3 quart jars I usually do, I generally get about 8 pints when it's all done with very little loss.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

where did you get your recipes for kraut?? i have a row cabbage heads that i'll be harvesting this fall, just need a good recipe to use
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
where did you get your recipes for kraut?? i have a row cabbage heads that i'll be harvesting this fall, just need a good recipe to use
I shred my cabbage, weigh it out and use 3 tablespoons of canning salt for every 5 lbs of shredded cabbage. If you want to do it in quart jars, depending on how much you have, you can layer the shredded cabbage, a little salt, pack it down with a wooden spoon to break some of the cells in the cabbage and get the juices flowing. I keep packing, salting, tamping until the jars are really packed tight, put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the jar loosely so that the gases can escape, but nasties can't get in and keep doing it until I have the jars all full. I put the jars in a cake pan to catch any juices that overflow and cover everything with a flour sack towel then put it in the electric oven that is cold. When I need to use the oven, I take out the pan and put it back when the oven is cold again. I dont' have the room that MIL does to store the big 6 gallon brew bucket that we use to make the big batches. We use the same ratio for that, and cover the kraut with a weighted plate to keep it under the brine. You have to check it about once a week or so to make sure that there is no mold or other slime on it. If there is, just toss the yucky stuff. You need to keep the temp around 70 - 75 for the best fermentation.

Hope that made some sense to you.