Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
normal 5/6 year old behavior?

anyone have a 5-6 year old girl??
im about at the end of my rope with mackenzie idk if what she is doing is normal 5 year old stuff or something else? she is soooo sweet and helpful about 1/2 the time, loves to clean(hehehe). the other 1/2 she is sooo moody and defiant. she says multiple times a day that everyone hates her and she regularly will draw a picture just to destroy it bc "no one likes it" even if its already been praised:/ she ALWAYS complains that her throat hurts but 3 doctors have found nothing wrong with it? i think part of it may be her cousins being gone and she hasnt really seen them in the last month(maybe 5 minutes a week at church?) but some of the time she just comes across as manipulative like tonight she really wanted pizza from a particular spot. she pouted for pizza(we'd already agreed to get it just hadnt told her yet) we got it and then she was pouting bc "remember when my cousins lived with us and they would go away for the weekend to grandmas and we would have pizza and watch scooby doo and sleep in the living room?" thts why she was upset?!?! ok no scooby doo bc they have killed 2/3 computers in the last 2 weeks(no tv). and right now mommy is sleeping on the couch so there's no room:/ so i said maybe when christina watches them(when i have the baby, my bff). she still went to bed crying granted bed time was an hour late but omg what cn i do???

ETA im 39.5 weeks pregnant and dh just started working 12 hour days after being unemployed for 18+ months so im sure those changes dont help:/

Advertisement

JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops

Last edited by shortcake2386; 06-19-2012 at 08:10 PM.
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
3ringcircus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: normal 5/6 year old behavior?

This sounds a lot like my 6 year old. Maybe 6 is the new 2.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no advice...just hugs...did Christina move out?! I missed that!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ringcircus View Post
This sounds a lot like my 6 year old. Maybe 6 is the new 2.
i say its the new 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
I have no advice...just hugs...did Christina move out?! I missed that!
yeah. they are staying with my parents/grandmother. it works well bc she can relieve my mom from grandma duties and mom can relieve her from the kids for a little bit
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

this is soooo my 5yo dd. one minute she is the sweetest most helpful little girl, the next she either has a horrible snotty attitude, or is complaining about no one liking anything she does. it's exhausting. lol

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think she's going through a lot emotionally right now that she doesn't know how to cope with it.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
this is soooo my 5yo dd. one minute she is the sweetest most helpful little girl, the next she either has a horrible snotty attitude, or is complaining about no one liking anything she does. it's exhausting. lol

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
glad im not the only one but it stinks that others are going through it too
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
I think she's going through a lot emotionally right now that she doesn't know how to cope with it.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
so any ideas on how i can "help". 1:1 time? special "jobs" for her(she really loves to cook)? counseling?? i just feel like nothing i do/say makes a difference
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aw poor little girl and mom. Would it be possible for her to go over to where her cousins live now to have some play time? This would be a huge loss to her. Maybe just telling her that you know she feels sad that they are gone and you understand. Also that this sadness will pass.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
Aw poor little girl and mom. Would it be possible for her to go over to where her cousins live now to have some play time? This would be a huge loss to her. Maybe just telling her that you know she feels sad that they are gone and you understand. Also that this sadness will pass.
yes but not until after the baby comes they are 45 minutes away and dh has the car all week for work so it would have to be a weekend. we've tried to get together it just hasnt happened yet
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It seems pretty typical of a 5 year old from my limited experience. She also sounds a lot like my 4.5 year old son with the picture drawing and then destroying it because he says it isn't good. My son also often says "This is a bad day." or "I am not having a good day," in his "mad" voice (or he yells it) and crosses his arms and sits in the corner. He says that just because we don't have bananas or whatever. He can be so dramatic.

But, back to the 5 year old age...My 6 year old seemed to suddenly get this awful attitude and drama when he turned 5. It's like instead of the terrible twos it is the fierce fives. I was recently over at a friends house for a play date. Her son had just turned 5 a couple weeks ago. He was totally getting an attitude with her a lot of the time. Out of ear shot of him, she says, "I don't know what's with him lately." I replied, "he just turned 5." She laughed but totally agreed that 5 is a tough age as far as attitude goes. She has an older child also.

It does sound like she is in transition, but I also think she is just 5. It's like they realize they aren't a pre-schooler anymore, but haven't yet realized they are still a kids. LOL.

Good luck!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 06-19-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote