Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
sweet_pea0520
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Farmers Market... Pricing?

We will be attending a local farmers market this summer every 2 weeks. We attended this past Saturday, but only had our home made maple syrup set up... No vegetables ready yet. I guess no one else had any either, bc there were none! My question is... What do others charge at farmers markets? We are in a small town in the midwest. Most of what I have will be things that are usually weighed at stores... like squash and tomatoes. I'd rather have a set price than worry about weights. We will eventually have tomatoes, potatoes, sweet corn, onions (?), zucchini, summer squash, winter squash (butternut, acorn, spaghetti), maybe pumpkins, and cucumbers. I don't even know where to begin on this. We were thinking 3/$1 on sweet corn. Also, what sort of pricing would you put on say a jar of home made salsa or pickled cukes? ANY input would be great Thanks.

Advertisement

sweet_pea0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farmers Market... Pricing?

I think u get more in iowa for 1.00 on corn even ay hyvee it is 4 for a 1.00. Salsa size? I think it depends on size on salsa. I See some just use some of those green buckets u get some fruits at fareway or hyvee in..so like 2 of the smaller sized ones is 1.00 to 2.00. Stuff depends on too if u take wic money too...
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I think u get more in iowa for 1.00 on corn even ay hyvee it is 4 for a 1.00. Salsa size? I think it depends on size on salsa. I See some just use some of those green buckets u get some fruits at fareway or hyvee in..so like 2 of the smaller sized ones is 1.00 to 2.00. Stuff depends on too if u take wic money too...
When I got wic sometimes the price didn't fit but thwey tried to make it fair. I think wic is in 2.00 check things. If a descent size salsa then like 2 to 3.00 I suppose but smaller jars not so? Depends on ur area too.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't been to the farmer's market this year so i will try to remember prices from last year. I can't really remember. I'd say for the cuckes, zuc, and summer squash 2 for $1. Pie pumpkins were 1.25 to 1.50 a pumpkin (this one I remember because I bought quite a few). Jack pumpkins were based on size the smallest being 2.50 up 8 for largest. Winter squashes I believe were 2 for $3- I bought some spaghetti squash but I can't quite remember. For the onions, potatoes and tomatoes I have no idea. Our farmers had them in premeasured containers- like pints for cherry tomatoes, 1/2 bushels for potatoes, baskets for onion. We grew our own so I didn't look at the prices. For your salsa and pickles I would go to the grocery store and compare same sized containers of specialty or local products (not big Pace or any big corp brand) and price from there. Make sure you put out some samples too.

You can always bring your sign materials and compare prices once you get there too.

Last edited by jbug_4; 06-19-2012 at 05:16 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

For tomatoes I would put them in a container- I would pay $2 at a farmers market for 3 good tomatoes. That price on sweet corn sounds good. The zucchini, cucumbers, and summer squash could be mix and match maybe 2 for a dollar as Jbug suggested. Or if you want to make it really easy, you can set a price for a larger mixed purchase and say 3 containers of anything for $7 and do maybe some small containers of tomatoes along with larger ones of the other veggies.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here our farmer's market has become more of a gourmet hot spot. It is NOT cheap, so I guess this varies locally!

Our farmers market often has homemade jams, jellies, pickles, etc for $4-6 a pint. Homemade breads for $3-6 a loaf.
Blueberries are $4 a pint, free range eggs are $4 a dozen, large squashes and small pumpkins are $3, summer squashes are $2 a pound........
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

We do have a ritzier market locally as well, but I don't buy things there. The pricing I was mentioning was more like ours that has tons of vendors and lots of good deals. Now prepared fancy foods like salsa or syrup, I would expect to pay more of a premium price, and would likely buy them more for gifts than personal consumption.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
sweet_pea0520
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the input! I like all the ideas, especially the mix and matching. I forgot peppers on the list also, but was thinking 2/$1 on green peppers considering they are about .74 at Walmart or grocery stores. I have been to a farmers market in a larger city (springfield, IL) and I thought their prices were pretty high. This is all just a trial and error thing for me, but like I said at the first one a few weeks ago, there was no produce even there. I'm off work this summer for maternity leave, so we decided to give it a try. I'm def gonna have to try and find some pint containers to put the veggies in! Thanks again... I'll have to post on here how it goes!
sweet_pea0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea0520 View Post
Thanks for all the input! I like all the ideas, especially the mix and matching. I forgot peppers on the list also, but was thinking 2/$1 on green peppers considering they are about .74 at Walmart or grocery stores. I have been to a farmers market in a larger city (springfield, IL) and I thought their prices were pretty high. This is all just a trial and error thing for me, but like I said at the first one a few weeks ago, there was no produce even there. I'm off work this summer for maternity leave, so we decided to give it a try. I'm def gonna have to try and find some pint containers to put the veggies in! Thanks again... I'll have to post on here how it goes!
To the bolded, I am glad you said that. Our market things are ok priced (compared to our store). I kept seeing green beans (not organic) for insane prices. I couldn't believe they were charging so much. And people were paying. We grow green beans and they are cheap and easy to grow- no way I'd pay what they were asking. I would much rather support a local farmer then Wal-mart, but I am not going to go broke doing it.