Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby/toddler celiac symptoms?

If you have a lo with celiac or a grain allergy... What was his/her symptoms? Did you get an official diagnosis? Blood test results?

I'm lucky that our ped is a man of action so when I brought up his gross poop issues he scheduled an appointment right away. He first had us test his stool for giardiasis/parasites just to rule it out for good and those were negative. He really suspects celiac so we had the blood draw today. My babe is only 14 months so I do worry about an inaccurate blood test. Either way, now that the blood has been drawn we are starting his gluten free diet. I've already ruled out milk as the culprit.

I'm hoping to hear symptoms other babies have to compare. Thanks!

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby/toddler celiac symptoms?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "gross poop." But DS (now 6) had loose, watery stools pretty much from the time he started solids. He'd run to the bathroom 2-3 times a day with it. After a long while, after he quit gaining weight altogether and I started pushing for more testing, we found out he has a fructose intolerance. Fructose is found naturally in fruits in varying quantities. However, I've found he's super sensitive to HFCS. So we've eliminated that completely from his diet (and the whole house!) and we go easy on fruits that are high in fructose (like apples and pears) and he's doing so much better. Now he recognizes that it makes his stomach hurt, but before I think the pain was so normal to him that he never mentioned it.

Oh, and we did have him tested for celiac-- both the blood test and the endoscopy. Both were negative.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean by "gross poop." But DS (now 6) had loose, watery stools pretty much from the time he started solids. He'd run to the bathroom 2-3 times a day with it. After a long while, after he quit gaining weight altogether and I started pushing for more testing, we found out he has a fructose intolerance. Fructose is found naturally in fruits in varying quantities. However, I've found he's super sensitive to HFCS. So we've eliminated that completely from his diet (and the whole house!) and we go easy on fruits that are high in fructose (like apples and pears) and he's doing so much better. Now he recognizes that it makes his stomach hurt, but before I think the pain was so normal to him that he never mentioned it.

Oh, and we did have him tested for celiac-- both the blood test and the endoscopy. Both were negative.
Gross poop:
4-6 bms/day
Loose or watery
Large chunks of undigested food
Food passing about 4 hours after eating
Large amounts of mucous in poop
Sandy/gritty poop

This started right after he weaned from nursing. He had semi solid poo for a couple months after adjusting to solids while still having a lot of breast milk. It's all gone down hill since weaning.

Until 1 he stayed right on his growth curve, but was down at his appointment last week. It's too soon to see if it will be an issue.

It helps him a lot to eat fruit. He has a banana at breakfast and a few apples/week and they seem to give his poo some substance. I don't think it's a fructose thing for him. I thought a couple times when he had loose diapers he had just been over-fruited and cut back for a few days with little difference. and we don't do hfcs at all here either. I'm glad you were able to figure yours out. This stuff is tough.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS can't eat gluten, but no official test, me either. I just flat out refused to eat a ton of gluten and make myself sick for the test and I wasn't about to do that to DS either. Both DS and I had some major constipation issues and gassiness and stomach aches. We were on the unusual spectrum symptom wise.

I had an allergist suggest I go off it and I noticed a huge difference. When I introduced solids to DS I saw some of the same symptoms so I took it out of his diet and he got better. It does run in the family though.

The type of poop you are describing can also be a sign of a dairy intolerance or allergy though. Maybe take both out and see what happens and then after a few weeks introduce one and see what happens, if nothing changes you can introduce the other and see what happens too.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried dairy first since ds1 had a milk protein allergy. Our biggest explosion happened after 10 days of dairy free. I know it can take awhile to flush from the system, but things were getting worse and not better. Ds1 would react within half an hour of drinking a quarter cup of milk. He went gluten free today, regardless of the results. I agree with you, if he was already gluten free I wouldn't introduce it just for the sake of the test. The issues have just been getting worse so testing happened at the same time as eliminating the gluten.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
hcarli
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS had the "gross poop" that you describe and hasn't gained any weight for the past 7 months. He is 13m now. 2-3 weeks ago we started him on a gluten free diet even though his blood work came back negative. (We have a strong family hx, so I have a feeling it probably is celiac.) The 2nd pedi we saw told us that most testing for celiac will be negative until around 5yo. I will not be putting him back on gluten just to confirm celiac if he improves.

We have an appt with an endocinologist relating to his not growing coming up so maybe they will have a suggestion as to what DS could have going on if its not celiac though...

Good luck with your DS!
hcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My oldest has a wheat sensitivity. Not the same, of course, as a full allergy or celiac, but in some ways similar. Unfortunately, her being my oldest, and me knowing a lot less about how the body works, she went several years without us knowing. Looking back, though, I can see where she was showing symptoms earlier, and there are some things I wonder if they are related.

Anyway, she had constipation issues and after she potty trained, she would have random accidents. She virtually stopped growing after about a year old. At a year, she was 95th for height and 25th for weight. At 2 yrs she was 5th for height and 3rd for weight. She managed to crawl back up to 25th percentiles for both by 2.5, so they figured she was setting a new curve. Her other symptoms didn't really show until later. Or, at least, we didn't notice them as symptoms until after we'd seen a naturopath and were told to take her off wheat. Once we did, the accidents stopped, and the behavior issues she was having got better.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote