Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
lauras3pumpkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
8 year old who can't concentrate...

HI mommas! I need some advice. My 8 year old son can't seem to concentrate on certain tasks. For instance, school work. All year long, he was not able to finish a majority of his classwork in the assigned time given, so he would spend every recess at study hall. (He's in 2nd grade) When I asked him about it he said that he would get so distracted he would forget what he was going to write and then he would have to start the thinking/doing process all over again. When he would do his homework at home, we made sure he had no distractions-no other kids, no tv, clean work space, etc. and it would take him an hour or more to do one page. He would constantly talk and then get distracted and then forget what he was doing on his homework.
He was also making some biscuits for us for breakfast one morning. I decided he could do it on his own so I was in the living room with the other kids watching him from a distance. He got so distracted that he didn't even mix up the batter properly and we ended up with 7 tiny biscuits.
I am just not sure how to help him. I don't know where to start. He used to be able to sit still and just do his work but as soon as he started 2nd grade it seems like everything went down hill.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 8 year old who can't concentrate...

Do you think he is ADD? It sounds like it to me but the only concerning thing to me is that this is a new thing. Most ADD children are that way there whole lives. I would call the doctor and talk to them about it.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
lauras3pumpkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will definitely do that! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
ralenth
Registered Users

It sounds like it could be ADD. Is he impulsive? Does things without thinking? How about hyper? I have one son with ADHD, he's hyper, impulsive, and very distractible. Medication has been a life saver for him... He can't get through school without it. My middle son, the school has kind of had on watch for adhd, though his doctors say rarely do you see ADD with out the impulsiveness, and he's not impulsive or hyper, just distractible at times. I can not for see medicating him anytime soon. He can concentrate, and with him the right teacher is key.

One thing that struck me... I would be livid if my son was kept in every recess in 2nd grade. I don't know what the answer is, but kids that age NEED to be outside and burning off energy. It makes my ADHD kiddo worse if he misses recess.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
gardensparrow
Registered Users

Hi there~
Well, I definitely agree with the suggestion to bring this up with your son's doctor. He might have some ideas about why this has come on so suddenly. It also might be worthwhile to set up a meeting with your son's teacher (if you haven't done this already). They may be able to suggest some testing that your son could do to see if he could have some learning problems. Lastly, I've heard this question brought up by other parents while I've been working at Focus on the Family. And, they have some advice on their website under the title "My child can't focus in school. Is it ADHD or something else?" that you might find helpful. Hopefully, you could find it by doing a search there. Just a thought! Well, I hope you're able to get to the bottom of this!
gardensparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Do you think he is ADD? It sounds like it to me but the only concerning thing to me is that this is a new thing. Most ADD children are that way there whole lives. I would call the doctor and talk to them about it.
Second grade is a big transition grade where kids are given more responsibility to complete their work without constant prompting. It is the grade where DS1's teacher brought his inattentiveness to our attention. Previously, we had seen some inattentiveness, but since he was our oldest and we didn't get to see him in a peer situation (for comparison) we just assumed that it was just a kid thing. Basically, what I'm getting at is that often ADHD kids can blend in by using their intelligence to compensate until they hit the individual responsibility wall.

Regardless of how you deal with the situation (diet, teaching strategies, behavior plans, medication), I strongly urge you to get him evaluated by someone who specializes in this sort of thing-aka NOT his ped. His ped is a good starting place to ask for referrals to a psychologist/neuro psych or psychiatrist. These doctors know what to look for and to test for other learning disabilities that could be presenting as inattentiveness.