Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
amber teething necklace

I am about to try an amber teething necklace for my almost 3 month old. Ive heard something in amber resin helps calm the irritability. Im not sure how that works, but I use essential oils and they work so it makes sense that it could help. I know a lot of people on here use them. Do they really help? Im getting mine from Inspired by Finn. I've heard they are one of the best and pretty affordable. I looked around and some places were like $50 or $60!! IBF is like half that!!! They have other therapeutic gemstone jewelry too. Tell me about that too if you use that. I'd be interestted to know the science behind that stuff if anyone knows and has experience. Thanks!!!

Tessa, happily married to my best friend, Paul. , 'ing, BW'ing, selective/delayed vaxing, non-circ, SAH/HS'ing Mom to Jenika (5/1/01),Carolyn (5/8/07), Lydia (8/19/09), Caleb (3/30/12) & our angel baby, Harper Lynn (7/8/10/) , waiting for us in our Heavenly Father's arms.
Leigh179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: amber teething necklace

There is no science to the amber teething necklaces. There's no reason to think that baltic amber has sat around for 45 million years through pretty extreme conditions in the earth, is going to degrade and release succinic acid as a result of contact with baby's skin. Succinic acid isn't an analgesic anyway. The claims I've read about how they work don't actually make any sense. Of course, they sure are cute, so they're nice for that reason! For the teething relief though, I stick with frozen washcloths.
Jenifer ~ Cloth diaper lovin' scientist mom to Isaac (09/08) and Evelyn (09/11)
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: MiamiBaby
My Mood:

It's true there is no good science to back up the claims on amber necklaces...but that also doesn't mean they don't work, just we don't understand how, even if it's just the placebo effect (which is very real).

I had an amber necklace for DD, and she was very attached to it. At one point it got lost and she was depressed about it Oh, and once we gave her the necklace she teethed without pain, even molars! (And I can't tell you how happy she was to get another necklace , she refuses to take it off even for a shower/bath.)

DS us 4.5m, seems to be teething like crazy. Just made him a necklace (they have to be short enough that the baby can't chew on them, you might have trouble finding a short enough one for a 3m old, hence why I ended up making one), and while the teething pain isn't 100% gone its better.

So...they work for us at any rate.
Mom to M, J, and G, owner at Gifts by Gita - embroidery, Baltic Amber, CD diaper cream, and more

Last edited by Gita; 06-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Gita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

im not sure if it works or not because dd has been wearing hers before she started teething it sure is cute though. i get all my amber here the quality is amazing. im too cheap to spend $30 on a teething necklace
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
My Mood:
I don't know how they work, but I know my son would drool a lot more when he wasn't wearing his.
Amanda, Mama to my 5yo wild child and PITA Hubby.
Baby Alex arrived via successful VBAC 7/23/13!
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote