Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: How Do I Get DD To Put Her Toys Away?

Yes I think that is more than old enough to cleanup. I did read something at one point that said that reliably doing so on their own was not a skill they could developmentally master until they were closer to 4. So for the most part it is not something they can do independently at that age. But as long as we are doing it with them and being specific it worked well for us. For example saying, "Go clean up your toys in the living room" would get poor results but standing in the room with them and saying, "Let's put all of the cars in the green bucket" works great. That could just be us though.

Married to my soulmate Chris since 2004 Mama to big boy D 8/12/06, Big Girl M 3/7/10 and my sweet new boy E 9/10/12!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't think it's too early. My friend started the clean up song at birth while she would pick up his toys. When I first went to their house, he was about 14months or so, I can't remember, but he's younger than my girl by a couple months and when she started singing, he starting cleaning up.

I was a little jealous.

anyways, at 20months, I have to be very specific.. it's time consuming. 'Pick up your bear', 'put bear in the bed', etc. and even then the bear ended up on mom's bed

and she loses interest quickly, but it's a process. So, I think you just start it however you're going to do it, be consistent and she'll learn. Think of it like potty training.. it'll be tiring at first, but wonderful once it works
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Registered Users

My daughter can do each thing as I tell her, like "put the legos in the bucket. Ok, now put the kitchen stuff away," but if I just said "clean up your stuff," I don't think she could do it all. Most of her stuff is just in boxes in cubbies, so it's easier than having to put things on shelves, I think.
Mama to Ada, 7-23-09 and Sylvia, 11-27-13
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
My LO is 23 months. We asks her to "help" us put stuff away. I make it a game-who can go faster mama or baby. She really gets into it.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
My Mood:

We play a game, see who can put the most away, oh I'm gonna win. It becomes a fun race. I teach 2&3 year Olds and they love this
Traci, wife to John Mom to Cassie 10/98 Sarah 3/2000 and Emily 9/06

10% off for a limited time. for all your knitting and crochet needle cases
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote