Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
dried purple hulls

Due to illness I wasn't able to get the garden picked. My FIL and I share a garden and it is located about 10 min from my present home. So, the beans dried on the vines. My FIL was really put out with me for not getting them picked. (I do the planting and the picking he does the eating..lol) So I go out there to look as he says they are all ruined. i see they are all perfectly dried in their their hulls. So I think "i buy dried beans at the store ...so why not these?" I pick them all ..let me telll you what..they shell out sooooo much easier and faster with no purple fingers! I tossed them in baggies and they were done. So stinking EASY!! My FIL doesnt want any othem, he thinks I am crazy and is going to replant. LOL! I mean Seroiusly??! They are just dried beans!! He says you cant buy dried purple hulls. hmmmm. Ok, whatever. I am going to buy a bag at walmart to prove my point. lol.
but I found validation at pickyourown.org. they recommend leaving them on the vines to dry. I learned an easier way without meaning too!
in case anyones interested this is the link:
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningdriedbeans.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by roseyroberts; 06-21-2012 at 09:40 AM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: dried purple hulls

What? I would've told him if he wanted fresh beans while you were sick he could pick em his dang self! I read that the tender beans inside the pods are sometimes even more tasty than eating the whole pod! I thought about doing dried beans but you have to grow a LOT of them to make a difference and out here it wouldn't be worth wasting the water.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote