Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Like PPs have said, while getting her tested can't hurt, I wouldn't worry. At 17 months, DS1 said a single word: Ish (fish).

By 20 months, he'd picked a handful of names and the word cookie.

By his second birthday, he knew probably 25 words but didn't form sentences. Just one word commands. (i have a video of him at 26 months repeating the word lemonade for 50 seconds..........) My mom brought home a list of words all 2 year olds should say, and he was one short, but he had a few that were not on the list.

By about 27 months, he exploded. The sentences he strings together now...... I think he always knew the words, just not how to say them. I get flustered when I ask "what are you doing?" And he responds with "i have an idea. I'm trying something." As he puts washcloths into the microwave......

Once again, anecdotal evidence does not necessarily mean your child does not have a problem. But it's not necessarily a problem. I might wait until closer to 2 to start worrying.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 17 month old is not talking.

If you are concerned, I would self-refer to your local Early Intervention program. They are awesome, and will come and do a free evaluation of him in your home. They ask a bunch of questions, and play with him for awhile. He will have no idea he is being evaluated. Then, typically at that visit, they tell you what they think. It is easy peasy.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksMama View Post
Not talking isn't always a sign that something is wrong. My DD started talking at 39 months old, and my son started talking at 20 months old.
this
Started off with 1 and we call her "sum",next was baby number two...I was buying "blue",baby number three I was "seeing more pink" and by this Christmas 2013.. a NEW gift for me! We are a Breast-feeding,baby wearing,cloth diapering,mama clothing,circ'ing,vaxing kinda family!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
If you are concerned, I would self-refer to your local Early Intervention program. They are awesome, and will come and do a free evaluation of him in your home. They ask a bunch of questions, and play with him for awhile. He will have no idea he is being evaluated. Then, typically at that visit, they tell you what they think. It is easy peasy.
Yes, if you are worried, get it checked out. Don't listen to your ped if they are not concerned, get it done if YOU are. Babies as young as 6-12 months can be evaluated, there's no need to wait til 2. A Speech Language Pathologist knows all the different things to look for to make the best determination about whether you need services or he's just a late talker. Peds aren't really trained in the intricacies of language development, and I've seen TONS of kids who could have received YEARS of services (and the early the better for the most gains) who never got tested because the ped said:

1) They're an only child, no exposure to other children/you anticipate thier needs - let's face it, even only children with SAHMs have they're own thoughts and feelings that they need to express, and you can't anticipate EVERYTHING. Most typically developing children LOVE to label things, show them to you and name them, etc.

2) They have older siblings who talk for them - I can't find it currently, but there is research demonstrating that the rate of 'late talkers' in children with older siblings is NOT significantly higher than oldest/only children.

3) Can't tell/do anything til they are 2 - there are many things to look for and techniques that can be used at very young ages.

4) Einstein didn't talk til age 5 - not to insult anyones intelligence, but he was a genius. Top 5 percent or less of the population. It's statistically impossible for every late talker to be Einstein.

Not trying to step on any toes, just provide info! Not every child who is a late talker has a true language delay, but by the time you wait long enough to know, you've lost out on years of vital therapy if there IS a problem. And SLP services won't hurt!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS started speech at 4 months. IMO it is never too early.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

This. Go with you gut, mama! DS didn't have any words until 18 months and now at 26 months he only has a hand full. I got him evaluated and he qualifed for the program (it's called first steps here) which means he has more than a 50% delay. I'm really glad I didn't talk myself of getting him an eval!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

Yes, if you are worried, get it checked out. Don't listen to your ped if they are not concerned, get it done if YOU are. Babies as young as 6-12 months can be evaluated, there's no need to wait til 2. A Speech Language Pathologist knows all the different things to look for to make the best determination about whether you need services or he's just a late talker. Peds aren't really trained in the intricacies of language development, and I've seen TONS of kids who could have received YEARS of services (and the early the better for the most gains) who never got tested because the ped said:

1) They're an only child, no exposure to other children/you anticipate thier needs - let's face it, even only children with SAHMs have they're own thoughts and feelings that they need to express, and you can't anticipate EVERYTHING. Most typically developing children LOVE to label things, show them to you and name them, etc.

2) They have older siblings who talk for them - I can't find it currently, but there is research demonstrating that the rate of 'late talkers' in children with older siblings is NOT significantly higher than oldest/only children.

3) Can't tell/do anything til they are 2 - there are many things to look for and techniques that can be used at very young ages.

4) Einstein didn't talk til age 5 - not to insult anyones intelligence, but he was a genius. Top 5 percent or less of the population. It's statistically impossible for every late talker to be Einstein.

Not trying to step on any toes, just provide info! Not every child who is a late talker has a true language delay, but by the time you wait long enough to know, you've lost out on years of vital therapy if there IS a problem. And SLP services won't hurt!
Agree. Oh and it is almost 99 percent likely that Einstien had Aspergers Syndrome.

If you are concerned talk with your ped. If he isnt and you still are then call early intervention for your state.

My DD had no words or sounds at 20 months. Her receptive language was great but she couldnt speak. We are still in therapy and she talks great for us at home but does have selective mutism and high functioning autism. I am happy I went with my gut because speaking was the first sign something was off. Therapy has been a huge help for her. I am glad we didnt wait.

My oldest didnt talk much until 2 but had other delays as well.

You just never know the outcome and getting help earlier can reduce stress and frustration for both you and him even if there are no other delays.

Likely he is just a late talker and all is fine but the therapists with EI can really help and put your mind at ease.

Last edited by ktmelody; 06-21-2012 at 01:22 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
My 17 month old says, Mama, Nahme(mommy), and Da-da.. but jabbers Hebrew sounding words alllll day long. But he understands waaayy too much.