Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Re: au pairs?

My mom has been a counselor for AuPair In America for 20 years. I never had one growing up, but I got to meet a lot of interesting girls from all over the world. Now I am older then most of them, but I still go with her sometimes when she has her monthly meetings.

I recommend using an agency. Remember that Au Pair mean "on par" so the girl is expected to be treated like a member of the family. They usually work 45 hours a week, and get at least one full weekend off. They are also required to take classes so they have to have time to do education. Most girls who come now want the use of a car, a cell phone, and a private bathroom. But every family situation is different.

It is really a bargain if you have more then 2 in daycare full time. I'd get one if we built an addition to our house

Advertisement

Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: au pairs?

The big thing is to be honest with your needs and what you offer. we don't have a third car, we do have a privateish bath for the AP (connected to her room/jack/jill), but we don't give her a cell phone, etc. It isn't required and I wouldn't pay for it for a family member living with us either - but she still has access to a phone here, etc. Since I work from home and my husband can as well, we don't "need" her to go places htat require a phone. Part of being a host family is not only treating them "on par" but also helping them grow up, so to speak. They can be a great advantage to families, especially if you need flexible child care (like I start work before 7 am), but like anything, it won't work for everyone.

Girls may "want" a bunch of extras, but if you're honest with what you offer, you can avoid a princess in your home if you know what you want, and when you inteview, talk about the perks. We treat her like family, take her out to dinner, pick her up a drink from the drive through when I'm heading home, etc. She's not an employee, and she's not my kid - instead like a neice or a cousin's kid - is how we think of it. Some families give curfews, we don't - just ask that she's home 7 hours before she works the next day. Each family is different and it is about comfort level. Send me a message if you need assistance
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote