Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 923
I'll add that DS gets no bottles when I'm home, and Friday evening to Monday morning is all mommy. He has always emptied me out and still does.

For me, I pump right before I leave (if he's slept well, I'll get 8oz) and only once during the day (14oz).

Keep us posted & best wishes!

Advertisement

HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Use the Breastmilk calculator at kellymom.com

Really 2ounce per hour IS over eating. Most babies at the bottle WILL over eat. It's a force feeding system that goes so quickly the brain has no idea it's full yet. And then baby NEEDS the over stuffed until I bust feeling to be comforted.

Kellymom has the most amazing tools for bottle feeding. Many moms give up due to thinking they can't meet their child's 'demands' but 'demands' by bottle are not organic. There are a lot of factors with bottle feeding.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
magdalynaa's Avatar
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 853
Re: Paranoid about not pumping enough

So yesterday LO ate 9 oz while I was working for 9 hours. My mom said she probably would have eaten an oz or two more, but she didn't give her a bottle at 3 pm because she knew I would nurse her when I came home within the hour. Even with the bottle DH gave her last night, it looks like she ate about 11-12 oz from bottles yesterday. Gosh, what a relief!

I increased pumping to every 2-2.5 hours and got 26 oz yesterday!

I've noticed that LO has started nursing every hour for about 4-5 hours when I get home, which may be reverse cycling, right? So I fed her on demand until I went to bed last night and then pumped afterwards. I got 4 oz total in the evening, which is more than I normally get.

I talked to DH about giving her only an oz at a time after she has finished her "usual" bottle (2.5-3 oz after a nap). To make it easier for him, I went ahead and made him a couple of 1 oz bottles before I went to bed and put them in the fridge so that all he has to do is warm them.

My mom is going to look for a premie nipple when she goes shopping today.

Oh, and LO woke up once at 2:30 am when I changed her and fed her diaper, and she slept until 5:30 when I got her up to eat before I went to work. So I only had to wake up ONCE all night. Sweet!! I hope she keeps this up.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa
So yesterday LO ate 9 oz while I was working for 9 hours. My mom said she probably would have eaten an oz or two more, but she didn't give her a bottle at 3 pm because she knew I would nurse her when I came home within the hour. Even with the bottle DH gave her last night, it looks like she ate about 11-12 oz from bottles yesterday. Gosh, what a relief!

I increased pumping to every 2-2.5 hours and got 26 oz yesterday!

I've noticed that LO has started nursing every hour for about 4-5 hours when I get home, which may be reverse cycling, right? So I fed her on demand until I went to bed last night and then pumped afterwards. I got 4 oz total in the evening, which is more than I normally get.

I talked to DH about giving her only an oz at a time after she has finished her "usual" bottle (2.5-3 oz after a nap). To make it easier for him, I went ahead and made him a couple of 1 oz bottles before I went to bed and put them in the fridge so that all he has to do is warm them.

My mom is going to look for a premie nipple when she goes shopping today.

Oh, and LO woke up once at 2:30 am when I changed her and fed her diaper, and she slept until 5:30 when I got her up to eat before I went to work. So I only had to wake up ONCE all night. Sweet!! I hope she keeps this up.
Awesome! What we do, and have daycare moms do is make 2.5 ounce bottles that I go every 2-3 hours. Baby gets burped several times during bottle and after. Then we rock, play and visit the outside. I've honestly never ever ever had a baby continue to require (cry cry cry) for more milk. Mom nurses right before leaving LO and upon returning.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
magdalynaa's Avatar
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 853
Re: Paranoid about not pumping enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Awesome! What we do, and have daycare moms do is make 2.5 ounce bottles that I go every 2-3 hours. Baby gets burped several times during bottle and after. Then we rock, play and visit the outside. I've honestly never ever ever had a baby continue to require (cry cry cry) for more milk. Mom nurses right before leaving LO and upon returning.
I make 2.5 oz bottles for my mom, but she will make a 1 oz bottle herself if LO is still acting hungry. DH, on the other hand, will go make another 2.5 oz bottle. Lol. I get that... if she DOES eat more than that oz, he has to go fix another 1 oz bottle. But hey... I have had a baby attached to my boob for almost 5 straight weeks now, so I think he can be inconvenienced every now and then, too. So I think I'll just make some 2.5 and 1 oz bottles for each of them for the fridge. It will be easier for me to keep up with how much she's eating, and they won't be so tempted to overfeed her.

Looks like my supply isn't quite as high today as it was yesterday (off by about 2 oz so far). I read somewhere (Kellymom or Dr. Newman... I forget) that supply for working moms may drop at the end of the week, but get built back up during the weekend when they're nursing on demand all day again. Does anyone have any experience with that?
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa

I make 2.5 oz bottles for my mom, but she will make a 1 oz bottle herself if LO is still acting hungry. DH, on the other hand, will go make another 2.5 oz bottle. Lol. I get that... if she DOES eat more than that oz, he has to go fix another 1 oz bottle. But hey... I have had a baby attached to my boob for almost 5 straight weeks now, so I think he can be inconvenienced every now and then, too. So I think I'll just make some 2.5 and 1 oz bottles for each of them for the fridge. It will be easier for me to keep up with how much she's eating, and they won't be so tempted to overfeed her.

Looks like my supply isn't quite as high today as it was yesterday (off by about 2 oz so far). I read somewhere (Kellymom or Dr. Newman... I forget) that supply for working moms may drop at the end of the week, but get built back up during the weekend when they're nursing on demand all day again. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Baby at the breast is way more efficient at emptying the breast. So yes, over the weekend you would be telling them (we need milk!) but really be realistic about what you'll pump. Ideally you should make just over what your child's requires. Those who pump 8 ounces every two hours have over supply. That's not the norm
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.