Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Just read your other comment.
Personally I'd rather try and maybe have a repeat than never try for a VBAC. I'm not one to do a lot of research and then ignore it. By the way, how big was your first child's head at birth? Was it as big as they thought?
You can also focus on your diet and avoid processed sugar and grains. Replace those with healthy fats instead, and it might help to avoid some of the issues that you had with him. (I'm not blaming your diet or anything, just saying that it's something to try, if you didn't in the last pregnancy). Try to avoid as many risk factors as possible

Advertisement

__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
Mrs_B2009's Avatar
Mrs_B2009
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 110
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Personally I'd rather try and maybe have a repeat than never try for a VBAC.
This is exactly how I feel. I want to give my body another chance, but I won't be upset if I end up with a repeat also.

My advice: Keep doing your research. Keep the dialogue open between yourself and your husband. Have open discussions about what you'd like to see happen on the delivery day and also about your fears. Talk to your provider too, see if they can help relieve some of your DH's fears. My DH really likes to hear things from the OB's mouth, lol.
Mrs_B2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #33
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 621
My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_B2009 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I want to give my body another chance, but I won't be upset if I end up with a repeat also.

My advice: Keep doing your research. Keep the dialogue open between yourself and your husband. Have open discussions about what you'd like to see happen on the delivery day and also about your fears. Talk to your provider too, see if they can help relieve some of your DH's fears. My DH really likes to hear things from the OB's mouth, lol.
I am pretty sure this is what the plan will remain to be. I feel that the only intelligent way to proceed is to prepare for both and know that I have a 50/50 chance of either. If this baby has a very large head like the last one, I will go for the c/s. One of the things I don't like about a repeat c/s is that they schedule you 2 weeks before due date and I am fairly certain that my provider has my due date 2 weeks early by my calculations. I ovulated on 2/21 my cycle is 33 days and luteal phase is 17 days, when I input all of that info into a calculator I get 11/21/2012 as DD, but doc says 11/13/2012 by counting 40 weeks from 2/8/2012 (First day of LMP)...Hmmmmmm I guess we will have to wait and see what more u/s's say...

Thanks again for all of your comments.
__________________
SAHM to 4 AMAZING kids, DD 18 DD 17, and DS 4 DS2 with LAST BABY , due July 20th
ISO: Wool & Prefolds (Large & X Large) IHA: https://picasaweb.google.com/1050797...eat=directlink
CM6755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #34
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,275
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6755 View Post
I am pretty sure this is what the plan will remain to be. I feel that the only intelligent way to proceed is to prepare for both and know that I have a 50/50 chance of either. If this baby has a very large head like the last one, I will go for the c/s. One of the things I don't like about a repeat c/s is that they schedule you 2 weeks before due date and I am fairly certain that my provider has my due date 2 weeks early by my calculations. I ovulated on 2/21 my cycle is 33 days and luteal phase is 17 days, when I input all of that info into a calculator I get 11/21/2012 as DD, but doc says 11/13/2012 by counting 40 weeks from 2/8/2012 (First day of LMP)...Hmmmmmm I guess we will have to wait and see what more u/s's say...

Thanks again for all of your comments.
Wowzers! The hospitals (and I'm even in the midwest) in my surrounding areas are adament about c-sections being scheduled 1 week in advance because of pressure from March of Dimes (yay!)... 2 weeks ahead for no reason seems so early! Is there any way you can convince your OB to let you go in for one a week later (if a c/s will be necessary)? On my 3rd child, I convinced mine to schedule it for 2 days after my due date with the thought we'd just go in for the c-section if I went into labor early. I honestly didn't like that route because it backfired on me (a whole different story), and with the 4th had her c-section one week early. With my 3rd though, he was like, "wellll... that is not normally how we do it, but if I guess we can try it."
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 621
My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Looks as though I am going to go for a VBAC. If I have a c/s for whatever reason, I accept that but I will prepare for a VBAC and see how it goes. I really appreciate all of your comments and interest in my quandary. If I have to schedule a c/s I will insist on scheduling it closer to/if not after due date.
__________________
SAHM to 4 AMAZING kids, DD 18 DD 17, and DS 4 DS2 with LAST BABY , due July 20th
ISO: Wool & Prefolds (Large & X Large) IHA: https://picasaweb.google.com/1050797...eat=directlink
CM6755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #36
holly6737's Avatar
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,398
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6755 View Post
Here is my thinking...I want a VBAC, my 1st born was 10lbs on the nose and being the preggo/birthing uneducated 1st time mom I was, I allowed myself to be led by the hand and patted on the head like a 'good-little-pregnant-lady' all the way to the OR for a csection due to 'fetal macrosoma' (SCARY SOUNDING WORDS for something that means big baby...LOL). I am a believer that my body will 'work' and birth a baby. I am also very scared that I will have complications (story of my life...'why wouldn't space trash fall from the sky on my new car?' 'Why wouldn't I have a major medical episode 12 hours before my medical insurance started?'...LOL) and the baby's and/or my health will be compromised. Does anyone know if I can just 'labor through 1st and 2nd stage, get the epidural then go to the OR?...I know some of you may feel that this is not a good option and I am possibly taking an easy route but I am really afraid of something bad happening...
I haven't read all of the replies, but I wouldn't labor unless you specifically want a trial of labor. Labor for the sake of labor- knowing you are going to be going to section- Where is the benefit, you know? That just increases the chance that the baby will be stressed and it tires your body out. Then your body is recovering from labor and a section. I'd either move to section without labor or do a full out trial of labor, trying for a vaginal birth.

Also, I wanted to say (and I know this might not be popular) but if you have a bad feeling about laboring, maybe you have that bad feeling for a reason. Something to think about.
__________________
Holly, Mom to 5 boys.
holly6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #37
Mrs_B2009's Avatar
Mrs_B2009
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 110
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6755 View Post
Looks as though I am going to go for a VBAC. If I have a c/s for whatever reason, I accept that but I will prepare for a VBAC and see how it goes. I really appreciate all of your comments and interest in my quandary. If I have to schedule a c/s I will insist on scheduling it closer to/if not after due date.
I'm glad you've come to a decision! I truly hope you're able to have an uneventful VBAC!

I, too, think that 39 weeks is the recommended earliest date for a scheduled c/s or induction, unless there is a medical need for it earlier. I've thought about what I would do if I needed a repeat, or if we changed our minds, and I think I'd try to push for 40 weeks.
Mrs_B2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #38
bruenderbaby's Avatar
bruenderbaby
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Westminster, CA
Posts: 238
My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

So glad you are going to try to a vbac. As for those not understanding why you would go through labor before a csec, haven't done their research. Any labor is better than none for the baby. Contractions actually help prepare the baby for being outside the womb. Of course, the vaginal sqeeze at delivery is one of the best preps, but the other parts help too.

As for the before due date scheduling . . . I completely disagree with it. I read the book "Husband-Coached Childbirth" by Dr. Robert Bradley. In it he says that 40 weeks was a made up number from some random doctor a long time ago. Dr. Bradley had a patient whose full term was almost a year, with all of her children, and they were all healthy and normal. PLUS, the research of full term pregnancy average for those who are allowed to go naturally is 41 weeks and one day. The medical field has based many decisions for patients based on faulty 'common knowledge', which is too bad. No wonder the csec rate is out of control in this country. Makes me sad.

Hope all goes well for you and you get the labor/delivery you hope for!
__________________
Kristen; traditional Catholic, married to my DH (07/07) and mom to David (03/09), Andrew (11/10;vbac), Jonathan (09/12;vbac) , and Michael (07/14; vbac)
bruenderbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.