Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Early Blight won...help with using green tomatoes!!!

Well, I tried a differnet variety of tomatoes this seasosn, by recommendation of the man at the nursery...he said to do Early Girl's and have the 1st tomatoes on the block...this sounds very appealing, right? Well he didn't mention (and I didn't know/research) that they are very prone to disease. We had torrential downpours while we were away on vacation...I was thinking, "Cool the neighbors don't have to water the veggies!"....errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt Wrong! We got Early Blight so bad the plants won't make it. I am going to harvest ALL of the tomatoes (green, pink and red...LOL) and I don't know what to do with them all! I have three plants LOADED with fruit!!! I do not have a canner or canning supplies, I DO have a few mason, pint, and quart jars though...but I really don't know how to can anything yet, that was this season's project!

Here's what I DO know how to make with them!

Fried Green Tom's
Mock Apple Pie

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's it...LOL

thanks for any help!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
brookglen
Registered Users

Sorry, that sucks. We have been fighting blight as well. Anyway, you can pickle them. I've posted a refrigerator pickle recipe on the recipe thread and it requires no canning supplies just jars. I've heard that pickled green tomatoes are really good.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early Blight won...help with using green tomatoes!!!

ugh, I'm so sorry. Have 2 paste tomatoes that are dying of it right now. Thankfully everything is ripening so far and the disease isn't progressing rapidly. I can't think of anything for green tomatoes beyond the two you mentioned. Do try sticking them in a cardboard box in a warm place though, I was a bit stunned how many of mine still ripened after a few weeks.

And to the Early girl plant, I hate that variety. Mine was the ugliest and worst tomato plant I've ever had last year.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Early Blight won...help with using green tomatoes!!!

I am going to rip them out (with my hair) and plant some Celebrity seedlings the week after July 4th (vacation). I will just have to baby them more and cross my fingers! I live near Charlotte, NC and have raised organic veggie beds (75% hot compost and 25% creek sand) so I am confident it will work if the weather cooperates!!! Does anyone add lime to their garden? Is it safe/organic? I haven't done any research on it yet but it was suggested by nursery worker...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can slice green tomatoes and freeze them, if you want to fry them later.

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own