Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

WIC may lose fundinf for breastfeeding peer councellors

I received an email yesterday that concerned me and I thought I would share it and the link to contact your local rep about it. I know a lot of moms use this service and I think it would be a shame to have it lost.

Quote:
Yesterday, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin released the National Prevention Council Action Plan, which "outlines the federal commitment to implementing...the nation's first ever National Prevention Strategy." Recommendation #5 under the Strategy's Healthy Eating section specifically calls to: "Support policies and programs that promote breastfeeding," and the Action Plan describes planned federal actions. Another recent highlight for breastfeeding was last month's release of the Institute of Medicine report, Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention, which calls in Strategy 4-4 to "promote breastfeeding-friendly environments."
Our Nation's public health leaders are coming together to call for real changes in the policies, systems, and environments that impact breastfeeding families. But despite the fact that these two new documents, as well as The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding, and the White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity Report, call for the expansion of breastfeeding peer support programs, we've just learned that the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, FDA, and Related Agencies has passed a Fiscal Year 2013 bill which would cut all funding for WIC breastfeeding peer counselors.
The National WIC Association has sounded the alarm, saying: "The failure to fund breastfeeding peer counselors would mean an immediate loss of jobs and a reduction in breastfeeding rates." WIC estimates that women who attend its breastfeeding support groups are twice as likely to plan to breastfeed as those who do not. We know the difference peer counselors make for breastfeeding mothers

www.usbreastfeeding.org/FY13-WIC-PC

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote