Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #191
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Turkey-Chili!

You'll need:
~1lb ground turkey
~1 can kidney beans
~1 can pinto beans
~1 can tomato sauce or paste

Cook turkey on stove (on med. heat) w/a little butter until browned. Drain. Return turkey to pot and add beans and tomato sauce/paste. Lower hear and simmer about 35min or until sauce isn't so thin on top. Serve w/crackers or cornbread

Advertisement

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 08-31-2007 at 03:23 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #192
MandyS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Potato Soup
Wash and cut up about 8-10 potatoes. Saute a chopped up onion in a little butter or oil. Add the potatoes and water or beef or chicken broth to almost cover. Cook over med heat until the potatoes will almost mash, then add meat, such as turkey or beef sausage, or a turkey ham. Then mash most of the potatoes, leaving some chunks. The meat gets mashed, too, and flavors everything. Add milk to thin, and serve with sour cream and cheese.
Now I want some! I wish I wasn't too tired to go make it.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #193
Mrs.Haggie810
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love this thread too! Here's one I just made the other day...

Easy Cheesy Chicken Rice
2 Chicken Breast ( or whatever cut you want to use. I buy mine frozen so it is only $7.00 for about 7 or 8 chicken breasts.) (so about 2.00)
2 Cups White Rice ( I buy a big bag for 3.49 so 2 cups probably only costs $.25)
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup (I use generic brand so it's about $.75 cents a can, so $1.50)
1/2 to 1 Bag Frozen broccolli florets (to your taste) or florets from one bunch of broccolli (about $1.00 either way unless you use 1/2 a bag and then it's $.50) You could probably use peas, or green beans if you like one of those better.
Optional A sprinkle of mozzerella cheese (about 1/4 of a cup) (The whole bag costs about 2.00 but if you only use a little it's about $.25 and you can use the rest of the cheese in other meals for the week)

Cook Chicken, Cook Rice. Add Chicken and Broccolli to rice, add cream of chicken soup and only add 1/2 the milk that is calls for (1 can.) Season to taste ( I used garlic powder, italian seasoning, and pepper.) Once it is desired thickness stir in sprinkle of mozzerella cheese. Yummy!
For about $5.00 feeds about 4-6 depending appetites and age of children!
Mrs.Haggie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #194
gardengirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyS View Post
Potato Soup
Wash and cut up about 8-10 potatoes. Saute a chopped up onion in a little butter or oil. Add the potatoes and water or beef or chicken broth to almost cover. Cook over med heat until the potatoes will almost mash, then add meat, such as turkey or beef sausage, or a turkey ham. Then mash most of the potatoes, leaving some chunks. The meat gets mashed, too, and flavors everything. Add milk to thin, and serve with sour cream and cheese.
Now I want some! I wish I wasn't too tired to go make it.

I make a veggie version of this with veggie broth and add some frozen broccoli. I love it in the winter!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #195
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

1 Family Size Can Cream of Chicken Soup + 1 Can Water to reconstitute
1 Family Size Can Chicken and Rice Soup + 1 Can water to reconstitute
3-4 Celery Stalks
3-4 Carrots
1/2 - 1 C. dry white rice
1-2 C. chunk chicken (I only add this if I have leftover chicken on hand or a can of chunk chicken, etc.)
Chicken Boullion, pepper to season (optional)

Slice celery and carrots into small pieces. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large stock pot and saute until tender. Add soups, water, dry rice, and chicken (optional) and season as desired. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with warm crusty french bread. YUM. So good on a rainy or chilly day.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #196
Mrs.Haggie810
Registered Users

My Mood:
Talking Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

O.k. I was so excited to share this with you guys cause it is sooo yummy! I made this for dinner tonight! I think I will start making it more often!

Alfredo Chicken Pizza

1 Chicken Breast or 1 can cooked chicken breast ($1-$2)
1 Jar pre-made Alfredo sauce, you could make your own, but this is probably cheaper and easier) ($1.67 for generic brand)
About 1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzerella cheese ($.75)
About 1/2-3/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese ($.75)
1 package store brand pizza crust ($.33) at Walmart
1/4-1/2 cup bacon bits (probably $.10 I bought a jar or Hormel for $1.46 but you could use leftovers or skip it, but I think it makes it really good! You only use about 1/10 of the jar so you could use the rest for salads, and other dinners)
*Optional* 1/2-3/4 of a cup frozen spinach($.75)

Pre-cook the chicken breast (I cook mine in a frying pan almost covered with water (from frozen) until the water is done and then it's done!)
While the chickens cooking, preheat the oven according to the pizza crust directions, mix the crust according to the directions, then while your crust is resting (mine had to rest for 5 min.) cut up your chicken into about 1/2 inch square pieces (roughly) After dough is done resting, press it onto a cookie sheet or pizza pan (I used a vented pizza pan.) Spread the Alfredo sauce on the crust to your liking, I used about 1/4 to 1/3 of the jar. Then spread some spinach on the sauce if you're using it. Next cover thoroughly with colby jack cheese. Next comes the chicken, then a sprinkling of bacon, then cover with the mozzerella cheese. Last is another light sprinkling of bacon. I also melted some butter, mixed it with garlic powder and italian seasoning and brushed it on the crust. Then I very lightly sprinkled some italian seasoning on the pizza. Bake according to pizza crust directions, and enjoy!! We did! Serves 3-4 adults depending on appetites! I was full from two pieces, but DH ate 4! It made 8 total.
Mrs.Haggie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #197
faithsnana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Stir fry

2 Chicken breasts cubed (stew beef or sausage works too)
1 bag of frozen stir fry veggies...there are a few choices at the store
1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
3 to 4 tablespoons of soy sauce - more or less if you'd like
pick your spices - garlic, allspice, curry...etc
rice or noodles

Cook meat, drain, add as much water as you want to make a sauce. I use a lot since we like sauces. Add the cornstarch and stir to make sure it dissolves properly. Add the veggies, soy sauce and your spices. Let the water boil a bit to make a thicker sauce, but keep stirring and taste test as you go along for spiciness. For thicker sauce add more cornstarch. Cook for about 10 minutes. Serve over rice or noodles. We have this often in different variations....very yummy.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #198
sjscnjs
Registered Users
seller
seller

thank u for this link!
120***110****100****90****80****70****60*** *50****40****30****20****10****pounds to go!
sjscnjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #199
mommaliberal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Creamy Chicken Over Pasta

This is what I made last night out of desperation. I ruined our homemade pizza (don't ask, lol)
Grill 2-3 chicken breasts, cover with foil to keep warm, set aside
Meanwhile, boil 1/2 box of pasta (I used fettucini)
Heat up 1 can of cream of chicken soup per directions on can
When pasta is ready and soup is hot, divide pasta into however many servings you need.
Slice the grilled chicken breasts and evenly distribute over pasta
Ladle however much soup over the pasta/chicken breasts you desire. Serve.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #200
SonitasTreasures
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

I'm gonna LOVE this thread!!! LOL
We are a family of 4
hubby, me, 3 year old, 8.5 month old

Our old stand by for cheap and in a huge hurry in a messy kitchen dinner is this

1 package egg noodles or wacky mac ($1)-cook as directed
1 jar GV (Walmart brand) Alfredo sauce ($1.50)
6 pieces loaf bread (<$1)
with butter/garlic/parsley (always on hand)
Salad ($1 for one night's worth of salad for us)
SonitasTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote