Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sore and bad latching at 16 mos!?! ugh. Could it be mastitis and not thrush?

Sort of an update:
So as I said in a later post I was dx'd w/mastitis.
Im thinking part of the problem is her shallow latch. She has always had a shallow latch and it was never an issue, she got her milk and it didnt bother me at all.
However she has teeth, and she has had teeth for awhile so that's not a new thing.
But I dunno Ive noticed a sore on my areola in the last couple of days also where the red streak was.
So I am thinking the combination of the shallow latch and her teeth is causing problems.
Like she is sorta scraping my breast w/her teeth when she's nursing and that started the tiny cuts to allow the infection to start.

Im nervous about it reoccurring since it's probably a latch/teeth issue.
Im hoping I can just encourage her to get a better latch. I just dont get why this didnt happen sooner when she first got her teeth.

She doesnt always use her teeth it just depends on how she latches.
Im really not sure what to do, I didnt have this problem w/my ds.
I am all about child led weaning so weaning her is not the instant solution that I would jump to.

Like I said she's had teeth for awhile now so Im wondering why it took so long for this to happen or why she's starting to use her teeth more.

She only nurses from one side as Im asymmetrical and this breast is larger and has more milk anyway.

Since Ive been sick it seems like she's been nursing even more and as long as she doesnt get that "bad latch" the pain isnt that bad, but man when she latches wrong OWWIE.

I just assumed that they cant nurse if they use their teeth, but that is obviously not true. She isnt hard core biting down but her teeth are scraping.
We also just realized she has early teeth decay on one of her teeth. My son had the same thing. She has an appt in a couple of weeks but I dont see the dentist being able to do anything w/o her being "out."
So maybe it teeth pain or something, but I dont think so.

Anyone else have similar experience? ugh

So Ive started feeling really nauseous, I thought it was because I stopped eating anything w/sugar (I drink kool-aid, yes I know that's horrible) an had a long period between meals (baby took a later nap than usual, and I sleep w/her).

But now Im afraid it could be mastitis and not thrush.

I dont have a regular doctor, I had my baby at a birthing center and I dont see those mw's any more. We moved to Texas from NM when I was pregnant and I just havent needed to see a doctor.

It looks like a small sore is starting to develop on the areola near the nipple.

I dont have a fever but I feel crappy w/the pain and the nausea.

Im scared ugh this sucks!

Advertisement

Last edited by wonton; 06-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Re: Could it be mastitis and not thrush?

i never had any breast issues when i had mastitis. my midwife was able to diagnose me over the phone. i had no appitite, chills, hot flashes, fever of 101 head ache and body aches. if it is a breast infection you need to deal with it QUICK it can become worse very fast. it is usually treated with an antibiotic.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well I ended up going to an urgent care and dr dx'ed as mastitis. He said the it was because of the reddness and a red streak.

I'm glad I went in! I have no appetite but also no fever.

I knew it could be dangerous if I had it and didn't get treated.

My breast isn't lumpy either, it was just the pain and it started to get a lil red but I wasn't sure at first.

The visit was really easy and pretty fast.
Can't wait to stop feeling like crap or less crappy anyway.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
Well I ended up going to an urgent care and dr dx'ed as mastitis. He said the it was because of the reddness and a red streak.

My breast isn't lumpy either, it was just the pain and it started to get a lil red but I wasn't sure at first.

good luck mama. really try and take care of yourself please hand off the chores to someone else for a few days. btw acetaminophen saved my life!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
gil
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post

Make sure to keep nursing from the infected breast. Its important to keep it from getting too engorged.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Mostboyswins
Registered Users
seller

So sorry! I kept getting Mastitis on the same side with my last two boys, but never got it with my first. I feel your pain and hope you feel better soon!
Mostboyswins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Updated op plz rd