View Poll Results: How much time doe you spend (ACTUALLY) playing with your child each day?
30 minutes or less 25 20.33%
30 minutes to 1 hour 26 21.14%
1-2 hours 28 22.76%
More than 2 hours 42 34.15%
Other 2 1.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #51
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much time do you spend playing with your child?

I play with my kids for about 2 hours a day each. I don't play with my DD as much as my boys. Her play has moved to more independent play, she wants to tell me stories and help me instead of building towers, etc.
I took a class for work called Inquiry Based Learning. It really opened my eyes to all the things kids learn through play (I knew they learning just didn't realize the extent). I give my kids tons of long stretches of opportunity to understand their toys. Then, I stay close and start the Inquiry cycle to help in deeper learning.

Advertisement

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #52
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually about 1.5-2hrs a day
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #53
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Practically every second I am home. DD is currently an only child and she's by myside every second I'm home. She's not big into tv or playing by herself. I can barely get her to color unless I'm in the same room with her and even then she wants me to color too. We do TONS of crafts here because that's really all she wants to do, so I help her with a lot of crafts. Even when I'm cooking, she helps me cook. We have school time, reading time, etc.

In fact I try to seek out things she can do by herself she's just not that interested in doing them alone. You have to be at least in the room with her, talking with her and interacting with her (even with coloring she asks for specific colors out of the box and I have to give it to her). It actually can get a bit exhausting.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #54
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

DP
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #55
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depends on the day; usually come home by 3:30pm from work and after dinner we'll do things together. Saturday is usually reserved for family time and on Sunday we usually do the daddy/DD day as Kim works at the store.

We were throwing Nerf football to each other before bed. Fun times!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #56
lilly12
Registered Users
seller

I used to play with her ALL day LOL.
Now I just started as a WAHM so I let her do her own thing more, but still sit on the ground with her a lot and play with her.
I think that's very important
lilly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #57
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In the summer the amount of time is a lot greater since they are all home all day long. We don't do as much "floor" playing since they are older, we do more activities. For example, we go to the pool, the water park, the amusement park, the playground, the movies, the zoo, etc.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #58
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didnt read the full thread. I'm a full time WOHM so I try to play with Dude as much as possible at night and in the morning. I am incredibly lazy, so on the weekends, we've been filling up the pool and spinning him in an intertube. Oh, and he "helps" me a lot. That's one of his favorite forms of play. Easy for me!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #59
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I try to play at least 1-2 hours a day. My oldest is four and he cannot play on his own and all I hear all day long is "will you play with me mommy?" it drives me insane because I have two other children and other responsibilities and he just doesn't get it. I always feel so crappy when he asks me to play and I can't, and I've tried explaining to him that children get to play all day, not mommies, but he still asks all day for me to play with him. I'm always overly thankful when he plays with his sister for a bit! I can't wait for preschool in the fall

ETA that by "play" I mean I'm actually sitting on the floor playing with his toys with him. Obviously with three children I'm interacting with them all day long (and all night) And it's usually just my oldest that plays, the other two just follow us and mess everything up, ha!

Last edited by alsatia23; 06-28-2012 at 06:24 AM.
alsatia23 is offline   Reply With Quote