Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk dishes

I have thought this over tons of times! We have silverware for 8, because that is how many pieces were in the super nice set we picked out for our Christmas gift 2 years ago. But we also have company over a LOT, so we have 18 big plates, 20 dessert plates, 9 bowls that match my set, plus 5 pretty colored ones (mine are white so they act as snack bowls or food if needed).. we are down on cups because we have broken a few in the past little while. We also have a set of Ikea plastic dishes for our kids and friends kids when they come over. I cook/bake as does my husband- he has a couple of dishes he makes that use a frying pan, a large pot, a medium pot, and a small pot, then I prepare a veggie with another pot needed... so we have way more cooking tools than most people (again serving dishes, prep dishes etc)... I have tried to down size the best, and might have a few more pieces I could part with... but they are part of a "set" so hard to break it up. I rarely leave dishes over night (only if I've had a big baking day and we've cooked a meal using more dishes because dishwasher is full--- I HATE to hand wash dishes)

Advertisement

weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 5 that has guests over occasionally. If we had more dishes (like we used to) I'd never wash them. The amount we have now, I just have to run a load in the dishwasher at night. I also have 2 skillets (one big one medium), 3 pots and several baking/serving dishes (vintage Pyrex).

Pic taken in am when everything but several glasses and sipper cups were clean:

Read about our homeschool journey here.

Last edited by ~Laura~; 06-29-2012 at 08:32 PM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
frugalmom84
Registered Users
seller

Laura -

What kind/brand of plates/bowls are those? I love how thin they are - Corelle?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmom84 View Post
Laura -

What kind/brand of plates/bowls are those? I love how thin they are - Corelle?
Yes, Corelle.

I was given a set of dishes for our wedding and bought more from replacements.com (and also got rid of some things).

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
I'm just baffled by the having hardly any dishes thing. That family rarely cooks, and the kids fend for themselves. So I guess that makes sense.

We do have a dishwasher but DH is ridiculously picky about washing them. He thoroughly scrubs and washes each item before putting it in, and it's sparsely full. I could easily fit triple the dishes in there. He likes to have it so every cup/bowl etc is perfectly flat and not touching anything else. Drives me crazy, but since I don't do them it's not my place to complain. He likes to remind me about when I put a cooking sheet in without washing it first and everything came out covered in fishstick bread crumbs. If he didn't wash them so thoroughly they'd all come out dirty like that.
If they are coming out dirty, then he is using too much soap or rinse agent, or your water is too soft, or both. We used to live in a place with naturally soft water and thought the dishwasher sucked. Turned out we just had to halve the amount of soap and stop using Jet Dry.

If you have a water softener, try to dial it down. What you are describing is a good indicator of water too soft, or waaaaaaaay too much soap.

Try Finish tabs for your dishwasher. Seriously, I can put a dirty lasagna pan in there without rinsing and it comes out spotless! But again, don't use a rinse agent with them unless you have uber-hard water.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I coulld never live with one set of dishes per family member. but if they have teens, and they have trained them to wash their dish after every meal, I could see how it works if they never entertained. My guess is they eat on paper plates a lot.

I also have a Corelle set, and 15 dinner plates, 6 salad plates, 6 dessert plates, 12 bowls, 6 small coffee cups, 3 large and 2 small serving bowls all fit in a 15" upper cabinet with room for 2 dozen 8 oz quilted mason jars for glasses. We only use the dinner plates when we run out of smaller plates, and we do not reuse glasses or dishes between meals. We run the dishwasher every day, and it is usually completely full, but I run it regardless or there is not enough for the next day. We are a family of five that eat almost all meals at home, and the kids often have friends over.

For silverware, we have a set of 8 fancy stuff we got at our wedding 14 years ago. But they are large, and hard for the children to manage, so we got a set of 8 cheapies at Ikea and an extra box of spoons and an extra box of salad forks. Only the adults use the fancy stuff, and we never run out. It all fits in two small drawers. If spoons are the only real issue, just go buy some spoons and keep letting him do the dishes.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Wow. That seems reeeeeeeally extreme to me. I just got a new set of Ikea dishes. 6 each of big plates, little plates and bowls. And I'm kickig myself for not getting at least one more set. I have 2 complete sets of pots and pans, multitudes of other kitchen wares...but then again I'm a chef so maybe my view is skewed a bit. I dunno.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

We could never live with so few dishes. We very often (once or twice a week) have people over for dinner and it's usually no less than three extra people sometimes as many as five. My father in law also stays with us frequently (6 weeks on and 6 weeks off). Our everyday dishes we have an 8 place setting which works fairly well if the kids use the smaller plates.
For family parties, special occasions and major holidays, we have enough china for 30. I'm actually looking for another set of china and silver to complement what we already have because what we have is not always enough.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Now he thinks we have too many dishes as it is, and I could just cook less to make fewer dirty dishes.
Tell him he can go hungry then

Quote:
So we visited a family member, and they have 4 dishes. That's it. DH was thrilled and said that would be ideal. They have 4 people in the family (3 are teenagers), and they have 4 of each standard item ie cups & plates, and 1 pot, 1 mixing spoon etc... Is it just me or is that too extreme? The idea is that you wash a dish whenever you need it and that the dirties don't stack up. Everything they own does not fill up a dishwasher. I'm baffled that he calls this "ideal." I think of that as "lets go to the store and stock up on paper plates."
*Light bulb goes off*
Off to purge my dishes!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going along with that "buy an extra box of spoons" suggestion, I also recommend buying an extra set of dessert plates or saucers instead of a whole 'nuther box of place settings for 4 or 8. Littles don't need full size plates, and honestly most of the time adults don't either. Studies have shown that the bigger your plate, the more food you put on it. So if you are watching your weight, you are better off using smaller plates. And even if you have bottomless teens, they can always refill their plates and actually have to think about what additional food they want to put into their bodies.