Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #81
supejed05
Registered Users

Re: Anyone else leave their childbearing up to God?

Hi ladies. I wanted to recommend a couple of books that I think might help with some of the issues that we've been discussing on this thread.

First, for those mamas who want to be open to life but have reluctant spouses (and for those who have fears about being given too much / too many), I would recommend Covenanted Happiness by Cormac Burke. He talks about how parents used to see children as "wealth" (and many African cultures still do so) but we have come to view them as "burdens" or "mouths to feed." Burke invites us to return to the older way of looking at our children. The entire book is available online, here: http://www.cormacburke.or.ke/node/995 One caveat, it is written from a Roman Catholic perspective, but I think there are many things in it that all Christians seeking to let God "plan" their families can agree with.

The second book is for mamas who have high-need children. Art and Larraine Bennet have written three books on temperament, The Temperament God Gave You, The Temperament God Gave Your Spouse, The Temperament God Gave Your Kids. All three are very good. I think an understanding of your own, your spouse's, and your children's temperaments can help when dealing with a particularly difficult child. That needy, overly active, or intense child might just be acting that way because of their God-given temperament. And when you can put your finger on why your child reacts in a certain way, you can help prevent negative reactions or channel them into more positive outcomes. My DD2 is a three-year-old choleric (i.e. bulldozer) and I have to keep reminding myself not get involved in secondary power struggles with her because I'm a rule-following melancholic.

Perhaps these books might help some of you as they've helped me. God bless.

Advertisement

supejed05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #82
christina2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HI Kaylee! Nice to meet you too! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrammell View Post
Hi Christina! My name is Kaylee! Nice to meet you! We leave our family size up to God. This has been a recent decision, but we have been SO incredibly blessed from it. I never realized that all my reasons for wanting to use any form of birth control were either from fear or selfishness. Ouch. We have experienced such incredible joy in relinquishing control of this! Nice to meet you!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
newclothuser
Registered Users
seller

any of you who have a direct line to God(I used to have one, so I know how effective they are.....), I'd appreciate some prayers for my husband changing his mind on wanting more. We have 4, 3 boys, 1 girl, and I would love to have another 1 (possibly 2!) more......but he needs to be enthusiastic about it!! I am trying to transition out of my waiting tables to being a real estate agent, which I think should leave my schedule a bit more conducive to being practically stay-at-home. it is hard on him to work early in the morning and a reaaaally long day and then have a baby home to take care of at night after a tough day.
mom to #1 DS 13 #2 DS 6 #3DD 5 and rainbow baby #5 DS 1 and always remembering our angel baby #4
newclothuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #84
christina2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Praying for you and your husband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newclothuser View Post
any of you who have a direct line to God(I used to have one, so I know how effective they are.....), I'd appreciate some prayers for my husband changing his mind on wanting more. We have 4, 3 boys, 1 girl, and I would love to have another 1 (possibly 2!) more......but he needs to be enthusiastic about it!! I am trying to transition out of my waiting tables to being a real estate agent, which I think should leave my schedule a bit more conducive to being practically stay-at-home. it is hard on him to work early in the morning and a reaaaally long day and then have a baby home to take care of at night after a tough day.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #85
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

I'm so grateful for this thread and all of your Godly advice. I've had several days to contemplate what I've learned here and I've come to realize that God has definitely given me my son, as high needs as his needs are, for a VERY good reason and at just the right time in my life! Prior to his conception, I was on a New Age/"progressive" Christianity/"anything goes" kind of path and for some reason, I found Christ through my son. First, it was the grief from the miscarriage I had the cycle before we conceived him! Throughout the pregnancy, I was in a very contemplative place in my life. I was scared to become a mother again after not having a baby in the house for 3-4 years. I was scared about the state of my marriage and wondering if we would survive another baby. In my anxiety, I started to pull away from the New Age classes and friends whom I had that in common with. I was also so sick with the worst MS in my life that I didn't do much of anything during his pregnancy! Then, here comes my son who has forced me to be STILL. Literally still for hours every day while I nurse him through his naps and nights. Depression set in. I took to liking my IPAD in those quiet moments and from there, I began researching New Age, occultism, Satan (I never believed in satan/demons until recently). I also began reading the Bible online as well as the history of ancient cultures and how they blend in with the Bible. That's how I came to Christ. Everything started to line up and make sense, logically! It all makes sense now! God knows I needed my son to do all this because I never would have been still long enough to hear him. I was always so busy and so social and constantly on the go! Thank you guys for encouraging me to trust God in this process!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #86
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome, Kindermama!! What an amazing testimony you have!! The Lord definitely has His purposes, even if it takes us a while to understand. Continue to keep your mind open to Him and His leading, and you will never go wrong.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #87
christina2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Praise the Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post
I'm so grateful for this thread and all of your Godly advice. I've had several days to contemplate what I've learned here and I've come to realize that God has definitely given me my son, as high needs as his needs are, for a VERY good reason and at just the right time in my life! Prior to his conception, I was on a New Age/"progressive" Christianity/"anything goes" kind of path and for some reason, I found Christ through my son. First, it was the grief from the miscarriage I had the cycle before we conceived him! Throughout the pregnancy, I was in a very contemplative place in my life. I was scared to become a mother again after not having a baby in the house for 3-4 years. I was scared about the state of my marriage and wondering if we would survive another baby. In my anxiety, I started to pull away from the New Age classes and friends whom I had that in common with. I was also so sick with the worst MS in my life that I didn't do much of anything during his pregnancy! Then, here comes my son who has forced me to be STILL. Literally still for hours every day while I nurse him through his naps and nights. Depression set in. I took to liking my IPAD in those quiet moments and from there, I began researching New Age, occultism, Satan (I never believed in satan/demons until recently). I also began reading the Bible online as well as the history of ancient cultures and how they blend in with the Bible. That's how I came to Christ. Everything started to line up and make sense, logically! It all makes sense now! God knows I needed my son to do all this because I never would have been still long enough to hear him. I was always so busy and so social and constantly on the go! Thank you guys for encouraging me to trust God in this process!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #88
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Praise the Lord, indeed! Thank you for sharing your testimony!!

Quote:
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #89
sarahwinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hubby of 10 yrs and I have 3 and preggo w/#4 and even the 2 families who have 5 aren't sure they agree with me to completely let go of knowing how many kids or when. I get ridicule many places tho I found it out by accident when I wear skirts and dress shopping and about I get the you have this down to an art or you have such well mannered children or my your hands are full but if I wear pants I get the you should just get cable its cheaper, don't you know what causes that yet, why can't /didn't you just cross your legs and roll over So I wear skirts out whenever possible now! :Lostit: Alex and I did the pull out early for a few years figuring if God was willing it could still happen under extreme pressure and being sick I took birth control for 4 months before I got off for being just as sick as before and never looked back a few months later I was pregnant with #1 people would ask and we said well we will have at least 1 we'll see where it ends up and at least 2,3,4 as time has passed ... I was really pressured to get some birth control of some kind as #3 was preemie for my health and safety and concern for #4 if they were too close and I hadn't rebounded they could be as bad off or worse than #3 but we stalled long enough to be left be, we figured God could heal me before granting another kid and #3 is good size and healthy at 28weeks PTL!!!.......and people think we are completely certifiable that we are preparing for a bunch as they all are 20 months from the last one and got a 15pass van so we won't run outta rig for a while :P We know #4 could be the last but figure most likely not and I believe if God is all powerful and can handle every aspect of our lives why can't he handle providing the # of kids and raising our finances to meet their needs??? LOL People think I'm nuts but I'm really growing into getting the cleaning this and learning to organize it all and even tho I love kids reminding myself not to get so annoyed by the little stuff. I sew and am going to learn crochet Proverbs 31 to keep them in clothes as we can't afford nice things for sale but I can afford the raw goods to make them nice things I wil definetly facebook you as I am so lonely for a friend its nuts!
Sarah Butcher
Bfing, BWing, CHEAP, make it happen God fearin, Bible believing mama to 3 so far preggo w/#4
sarahwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #90
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I'm so grateful for this thread and all of your Godly advice. I've had several days to contemplate what I've learned here and I've come to realize that God has definitely given me my son, as high needs as his needs are, for a VERY good reason... Thank you guys for encouraging me to trust God in this process!
guys? My ds has slept through the night 8/9pm until 4/5am the last two nights

I don't even know what to think! He also fell asleep in the stroller the last days for his midday nap.

ok, who prayed for me, aside from me?