Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
DIY Extended Tab Prefolds?

I have this concept in my head and I was wondering if you ladies could tell me your opinion. I attempted to convert some prefolds to fitteds and apparently my brain is just not compatible with elastic. Soo I've been thinking I should try to make some extended tab prefolds, but I want them to dry quick-ish. Here's my problem(s)...

1. I want the outer fabric to be snappiable/boingoable. (Is boingoable a word? If it wasn't, now it is!) Bamboo french terry, perhaps? Or is there an all-cotton equivalent that would be cheaper? Cotton knits? Can you get them at, say, Jo-Anns?

2. I really want to use bamboo fleece, but I worry about how it will hold up, softness-wise. I have an sbish fitted, which is made from bamboo fleece, and I feel like it's gotten very stiff since I first got it. Will this happen to my prefolds? Anyone have lots of experience with bamboo fleece? I wash hot and dry on medium. Did that cause it?

3. I was planning on making the body of the prefold out of 2 layers of bamboo fleece. For the middle panel, where there are supposed to be extra layers, could I technically just make a rectangular soaker out of 2-3 layers of bamboo fleece and sew it down on one short side to make drying faster? Or would that wear out quickly, where it's sewn down? Anyone tried that?

4. Best weight as far as BF? 280g? 400g? (I'm so lost with fabrics!)

5. Lastly, anyone have a super heavy wetter and know how many layers of BF would be substantial all-together?

Wow. That's a lot. So, if you're still reading, you've probably lost the urge to comment, but any help/advice would be so appreciated!

Last edited by Timandalotte; 06-30-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Timandalotte is offline   Reply With Quote