Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
HELP with my diaper laundry!

I have been used to really hard water, but we just moved about a month ago and I think our water might be soft. I have had a lot of trouble with my diapers not rinsing well, ie I've done 3 extra wash/rinse cycles with no detergent and still had lots of suds...yah. Here's the wash routine I used before the move:

Cold rinse, nothing added
Hot wash/cold rinse with Tide F&G liquid to line 1-2, 1 scoop Sun Oxy
Cold rinse, nothing added

This routine worked great...I stripped maybe every month or two with Dawn. My stash is mostly BG 4.0s with microfiber inserts. A few BGEs and Flip Organics.

Today I put my diapers in, did a cold rinse, then a hot wash with Tide F&G to the 1 line. When it got to the spin cycle, it sounded unbalanced. Went back to check and the washer was FULL of suds, like they were leaking out the lid. What the heck? I have no problem with regular laundry, why are my diapers giving me such a headache?? Any advice? What do I need to do to make diaper laundry easy again? I really want to get back to 1 rinse, wash, extra rinse. Not wash after wash just to get rid of these crazy suds. Oh and we have a regular old top loader.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would try using just half a scoop of Sun oxy. We got a lot of suds from that. We use Tide f&g liquid too

I would run a hot wash with just water (no diapers or laundry) and like 2 cups of vinegar to strip out the suds before you wash again.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I haven't been using Sun Oxy, hoping that would help. Good idea rinsing the washer! I'll do that after this load.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP with my diaper laundry!

Tide always gave me waaaaayyyyy too many suds even with using just to line 1. Any less and it didn't seem to get my diapers clean enough. My FL would go into sud's mode everytime. I switched to Wisk deep clean and it doesn't suds nearly as much and seems to rinse good. We have a whole house softener so I know the wooo's of soft water rinsing.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maieranne
Tide always gave me waaaaayyyyy too many suds even with using just to line 1. Any less and it didn't seem to get my diapers clean enough. My FL would go into sud's mode everytime. I switched to Wisk deep clean and it doesn't suds nearly as much and seems to rinse good. We have a whole house softener so I know the wooo's of soft water rinsing.
Glad I'm not the only one! I've never used Wisk but I'll check it out.

Would using HE detergent help? Is there anything wrong with using HE in a regular washer?

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Mom3B1G
Registered Users
seller

You should be able to use HE detergent in a regular top-loader, and they are all lower sudsing detergents. You may have to adjust amount, because HE washers generally say use 1/2 the amount. I'm not sure what kind of instructions are on the packaging.
Mom3B1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes i use HE tide in my old TL and it works fine. i get a "little" suds at the end but i was always told that as long as your baby is not effected and you dont have stink that suds are not totally bad. But the amount your talking about seems like alot! i would switch to HE tide that might help.