Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Prefold question...err...questions

Mmmkay. I really am prefold challenged, but I'm gonna' try. LOL In her xsmall FBs Abby is on the second to last snap on her thighs and the tightest snap on her waist. (She's getting little rolls on her thighs! ) She just moved snaps on her thighs after being on the second tightest for about three or four weeks. On the small FBs, she fits in her thighs, but I really have to finagle a funny crossover on the waist snaps and it looks really goofy. Plus, she still fits the xsmall FBs and they look like they fit better. ANYWAY...I only have 12 small FBs and 6bG!s...so I'm wondering if I want to venture into the world of prefolds and covers? For when we're at home might a trifolded prefold and a cover be easiest? If so...what type of prefold do I want? Should I just wait until she grows into her mediums so that she can wear premium prefolds? What's the difference between UBCPF and UBIPF? Where do you find 'em for cheap? Should I get some microfleece for liners so that she doesn't feel wet? Or maybe I want her to feel wet so she PLs earlier? Is it really bulky? Because right now I'm liking how the FB are just a teensy bit bulkier than a sposie. And for nighttime we've actually got a solution that works. She holds about 10-12 hours in an xsmall FB with a MOE insert and a SMJAE doubler (3 ply hemp/organic cotton fleece). Should I just not mess with it and stick with what's working for us?

And this isn't the end of the questions...I've read on it, but I told you...I really am prefold challenged.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

Re: Prefold question...err...questions

Humm, I'll try to get to these questions

Personally, I love prefolds and covers for the little stages. It's easy, leak proof, and doesn't require this much mental energy

You'd want to get infant sized ones at this stage, probably 2 dozen if you wanted to use prefolds primarily. I think you'd still find alot of uses for them, I don't think I'd wait for her to get bigger and get the premiums. Infants are a great size for stuffing pockets, too. Premuims in a medium pockets are uh, seriously bulky, and I think you'd not be happy if you looking for trim. Infants are far trimmer

The difference between CPF and IPF lays in where they are manufactured primarily - that's why they're chinese or indian.. The indian are generally softer to touch initially with a little looser weave to the fabric- and the chinese weave is a little thicker, so they dont' feel as soft. I don't notice a big differnce in the feel of them after a few months of use anyway. The indians at least in the preimums/regular sizes are a little shorter that the same size in the chinese. I haven't found that it prevents them from fitting at all...The indians seem a little thicker when fluffed initially, too as the weave allows them to shrink a tiny bit more..

AS far as bulk, I find prefolds pinned or snappi'd are actually pretty trim. I would snappi or pin them, as the bf poo seems to get all over the covers otherwise. If you don't mind having a ton of covers, you can certainly trifold

Fleece liners is going to be your preference, I wouldn't worry about if feeling wet is going to affect her PL'ing at this point, lol - When she's over a year, maybe. You've got a way to go I found my kids didn't seem to mind feeling wet, so I didn't need liners. Sometimes I'd add them for overnight... but not always.

If you have a nighttime system that is working for you, I wouldn't try to improve on it. When she outgrows it you'll have plenty of time to experiment. I use prefolds overnight reguluarly without problems,(currently with wool) but I know alot of people use FB's and pockets, I actually use pockets for my toddler son overnight - easier with the nighttime trips to the potty..
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagina
AS far as bulk, I find prefolds pinned or snappi'd are actually pretty trim. I would snappi or pin them, as the bf poo seems to get all over the covers otherwise. If you don't mind having a ton of covers, you can certainly trifold
So which fold is best for bf poo?

And when do you up-size to the premiums?

I wouldn't be wanting to do it full time...just here and there maybe...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
sherrydeanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 5 months old, 26" and 14 lbs and is nowhere near needing premiums yet, if that helps
sherrydeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we still have infant size and both my almost 3y.o. and 12 month old use them trifolded. They make great pockets stuffers too. We have some premiums, but I trimmed them down, so they are basically the same size as the infant, with a little extra absorbancy. I am completely snappi challenged, so I gave up after I tried twice & stabbed my fingers...lol

Do you need any? I have 2 lilac ones that are brand new! lol
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
hauser
Registered Users
seller

co-ops are best priced i just got 24 infant ipfs for $23 + shipping this is the co-op i use
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/comfycreations/
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin
So which fold is best for bf poo?

And when do you up-size to the premiums?

I wouldn't be wanting to do it full time...just here and there maybe...
Best fold for all poo is the jellyroll - http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm

Other folds Angel fold -
http://www.diaperpages.com/angel_fold.php

Bikini twist -http://www.little-lions.com/page16a.html
http://www.diaperpages.com/bikini_twist.php

Generally you might be looking at up-sizing to premiums at about 6 months, sooner if you have a bigger kid or heavy wetter. I still can use the infants now that DD has slimmed down with walking, but she'd outgrown them about 5 months, she just fits in them again... I found I like having the premiums around for overnights - I didn't care if she was bulky, I just wanted her to not leak, yk?

And using them here or there, you can probably start with a dozen and see how it goes then you'll be hooked like the rest of us

Last edited by mamagina; 07-10-2006 at 11:19 AM.
mamagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that I started using fleece liners. My 4 week old HATES being wet, I mean she screams as soon as she wets her diaper, I change her and she is happy again. It really is crazy how quickly she lets me know she wet it. With that said we go through A LOT of diapers a day. I don't know if she just wets like crazy but I would say every time she nurses she goes through about 3 diapers. That is why I got the fleece because I just couldn't keep up with it. It is still hard. Once I had to do laundry twice in one day and I have a lot of prefolds. Over 40..... That only happended once though. I don't know if my daughter is just a super soaker or what since this is my first but this is what I have been going through.. When she stays in a diaper for over an hour I can't believe it.
I also trifold and place in a cover. My DH can use a snappi but it is too much work for me changing her the amount of times a day that I do. I just like having a whole bunch of covers and diapers folded and ready to go. In that respect they are easy.....
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Oh wow the jellyroll fold looks perfect!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
jodi5
Registered Users

I trifold in covers and love it. My son moved to premiums at 2 months old because of absorbancy. He was also 15 lbs at that age. Because they were bulky I trimmed them to fit the covers like on www.diaperpages.com and I think they are pretty much as trim as a pocket diaeper that way. If you are using pockets though too you might want to just get infant prefolds and then add a doubler if you need it. The infants are a nice size for pockets. If you do this, just trifold your prefolds when they come out of the wash and stack them up so they are ready to go. I actually trifold and then fold in half again like a disposable. This way they stack nicely in a hanging diaper stacker.

You may find you can use your pocket diapers as covers. If your bg's fit well, they do make a nice cover over prefolds, just lay the prefold on top of the suedcloth rathe than in the pocket. Then you can reuse your bg's for several diaper changes to stretch out how many diaper changes you are getting from them.

Hope that helps!