Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: Homemade formula?

I did a lot of research on homemade formula and the vitamin A levels are all way above the recommend vitamin A intake for infants. It has been associated with liver damage, appearing after infancy. I decided against it.

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I did a lot of research on homemade formula and the vitamin A levels are all way above the recommend vitamin A intake for infants. It has been associated with liver damage, appearing after infancy. I decided against it.
Same here. I even tried the raw goat's milk one and the meat-based one. I was very uncomfortable with the ingredients of the meat one (the liver is raw but frozen IIRC, it's been awhile). I felt better about the goat's milk one but I was not comfortable with giving raw milk to an infant. I know all about the benefits of raw milk but I also know there are risks. If my baby got sick from drinking raw milk, I could just never forgive myself.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
bedheadmaestro
Registered Users
seller

You don't have to use raw milk. I used kefir. No liver, either. Just make the regular raw-milk based recipe and use kefir (store bought or homemade) in place of raw milk.

Last edited by bedheadmaestro; 07-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
bedheadmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I make goat milk formula....my little one had awful reflux even on hypoallergenic, er started homemade goat milk formula and she's like a different baby and her stools look the same as an exclusively breastfed baby...its amazing! We are using commercial goat milk now, but, may switch to raw. I didn't like the WAP recipes so I modified the dr. Sears recipe and the one on the nursing ruby sue blog according to our personal needs (I just used ingredients I like, and than added extra oils/nutritional yeast etc to increase calories since she is "FTT" - I can't wait for her next weight check to see if she is gaining better also! I don't think I'll ever feed a baby commercial formula again!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote