Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
lilypond's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 437
My Mood:
Luke Bennett is FINALLY here..... **Edited w/ birth story**

Barely a JuneBug he was born at 11:33pm June 30th weighing 9lbs 4oz and 21 inches long. Sounds big but he's not, quite the little peanut and very much a cuddle bug. He's a good nursling and great baby. I'll write up his birth story and update it here later.

Okay so here's the story.....

I was absolutely sure with my dates so we knew he was for sure overdue. At 39 weeks I was 0 cm and 20% effaced. On Wednesday the 27th (41+6) my midwife/mom measured me at about 2-3 cm and 50% effaced (where I had been since 41 weeks) and tried irritating my cervixIt worked and I had 5 hours of intense labor contractions only to have them fizzle at about 2am and so I went to sleep. The next evening she tried sweeping my membranes (sadly I was still 2-3 and 50%) Nothing. Tried again Friday afternoon... Nada. Friday afternoon I went for a massage with her midwife friend/backup and that worked!! I was in labor before I got home, active labor hit around midnight. I made it to 6-7 cm and 90% effaced then again it fizzled. We tried all day Saturday to get it started again with no luck. By 4 I was done and decided to go for the hospital. He was 17 days past by this point and being that I was in labor once and it didn't take we went in. His head refused to engage and finish the job, I was back to 5-6 cm and 50% effaced and being that this was baby #5 my husband and I agreed that something was telling my body it wasn't a good idea to stay home with this one. They broke my water but it didn't give really regular results. Started Pitocin about 6ish and quickly got from 6cm to 9cm and back to 90% but then the last little lip of cervix refused to move out of the way. I was in incredible amounts of pain and having a meltdown by 10pm I was begging for a Csection. My mom kept telling me to just breathe and let it do it's job and I kept feeling like pushing but it wasn't working. We waited, waited and waited some more but got no where but me ready to kill some people They finally agreed to another dose of IV pain meds which didn't help much but calmed me down enough and took my brain out of the equation that I didn't fight them quite so much. The resident went and talked to the other Dr. He finally came in, an old doc that had been around the block a time or two, and stuck his hands in there and pulled it past his head while I pushed and in about 3 pushes he was past the cervix and out born at 11:33pm. Healthy and perfect.

I am a little sad I didn't get my home water birth but I am glad I didn't stay at home, it took a team of 6 to get him out holding me down and where I needed to be and getting him out, it would have been chaos at home. It was bad enough chaos here (from my perspective it was anyway) It was by no means the peaceful calm delivery I wanted but he is no worse for the wear and is a calm happy baby that just loves to nurse and be held. They held us here for 48 hrs because I hadn't had a GBS done since when we would have done it I was on ABs for bronchitis so it would have been Neg. I knew I didnt have it, ever have, but it wasn't worth the fight and I got a 2 day break with just me and the baby
K married to M for 13 years
Mom to J I N A L and with baby #6 due April 2015

Last edited by lilypond; 07-03-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: story
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.