Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reassure Me! Interesting update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
What are your DH's issues with homeschooling? Maybe if we could help you clear up some misconceptions...
I asked him the other day, because I wasn't quite sure what he was thinking either. He said that home schooled kids end up socially awkward and think they are better than everyone else. I asked him if he knew anyone like that (we know a few home school families) and he said he couldn't think of any, but he's heard people (at work mostly) talk about it before. He does think that a couple of the home schooled kids we know are socially awkward, but I chalk that up to their families. They've turned out just like their parents I told him as much, and he said he'd think on it. He really wishes he liked home schooling.

Advertisement

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved to my hometown which is out in the boonies. We are 7 miles down a country road and have one neighbor fairly close then the others are at least a mile away. We have 9 acres here.
BUT, the school system sucks. ODD started school in CA. here she was doing the smae stuff in 2nd grade that she did in K there. They've labeled her as gifted even though in CA she was average. Dh says if I want to homeschool to go ahead, i'm sooo conflicted ever it. I know DH would not appriciate the expense involved in it either. But everytime I try to work with them at home, they get so far ahead they get bored at school (which thankfully ODD has found reading a substitute for interrupting her class when she's done with her work. her entire 2nd grade year she lived under the teacher's desk so she couldn't disrupt the class. I wasn't too happy about that but the teacher said it curbed her 'behavior problems' even this year at a new school and 3rd grade her teacher mentioned her ADD a lot. She does not have ADD, she's bored.)

Next year they are supposed to put her in the gifted program, but from wht I've heard the program is a joke, (from our doc, who's husband is the calculus and physics prof at the highschool, thier daughter is one of our babysitters who was also in the gifted program).

I'm always torn between staying here with my mini farm and moving back to San Diego. I miss San Diego, but Dh says he's not moving again until the kids are out of the house unless there's no other choice.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What a beautiful house!
I think that is a common misconception about home schooled children being socially awkward. There are certainly some awkward children but just as many that aren't. I think the reason that some are is that their eccentricities have a bigger opportunity to flourish, without the peer pressure and conformity of a public school environment. Within my own family I have some children that could blend seamlessly into a crowd of public schoolers and some that would stand out.
I have never run across any home schoolers who think they are better than everyone else. Many that are glad they homeschool but not snobby about it.
In actuality, many adults who are unfamiliar with home schooled children are impressed upon meeting them. As a generalization and in my own experience, homeschooled children are friendly to adults, intellegent, and good-hearted. So some of them are not the most fashionable or have unique interests, how does negatively affect the adult people they will become?
Sorry for rambling! If I were in your shoes, I would do it in a heartbeat. It seems as if things were meant to be!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I asked him the other day, because I wasn't quite sure what he was thinking either. He said that home schooled kids end up socially awkward and think they are better than everyone else. I asked him if he knew anyone like that (we know a few home school families) and he said he couldn't think of any, but he's heard people (at work mostly) talk about it before. He does think that a couple of the home schooled kids we know are socially awkward, but I chalk that up to their families. They've turned out just like their parents I told him as much, and he said he'd think on it. He really wishes he liked home schooling.
that's so not true. My bff homeschools her kids and so do all her sisters. They all belong to homeschooling groups and do TONS of trips and events together.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
We moved to my hometown which is out in the boonies. We are 7 miles down a country road and have one neighbor fairly close then the others are at least a mile away. We have 9 acres here.
BUT, the school system sucks. ODD started school in CA. here she was doing the smae stuff in 2nd grade that she did in K there. They've labeled her as gifted even though in CA she was average. Dh says if I want to homeschool to go ahead, i'm sooo conflicted ever it. I know DH would not appriciate the expense involved in it either. But everytime I try to work with them at home, they get so far ahead they get bored at school (which thankfully ODD has found reading a substitute for interrupting her class when she's done with her work. her entire 2nd grade year she lived under the teacher's desk so she couldn't disrupt the class. I wasn't too happy about that but the teacher said it curbed her 'behavior problems' even this year at a new school and 3rd grade her teacher mentioned her ADD a lot. She does not have ADD, she's bored.)

Next year they are supposed to put her in the gifted program, but from wht I've heard the program is a joke, (from our doc, who's husband is the calculus and physics prof at the highschool, thier daughter is one of our babysitters who was also in the gifted program).

I'm always torn between staying here with my mini farm and moving back to San Diego. I miss San Diego, but Dh says he's not moving again until the kids are out of the house unless there's no other choice.
My issues with the schools in that area is the kids themselves. Hubby and I are Christians, and basically those schools are almost anti-Christian. It's the rare student that comes out of that system with their faith still intact. So many things thrown at them when they are so young. Breaks my heart

I'm sorry that things are going so poorly for your daughter. I would say go for home schooling. You may be surprised at how rewarding it is At least, I'd like to think that's how it is!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
What a beautiful house!
I think that is a common misconception about home schooled children being socially awkward. There are certainly some awkward children but just as many that aren't. I think the reason that some are is that their eccentricities have a bigger opportunity to flourish, without the peer pressure and conformity of a public school environment. Within my own family I have some children that could blend seamlessly into a crowd of public schoolers and some that would stand out.
I have never run across any home schoolers who think they are better than everyone else. Many that are glad they homeschool but not snobby about it.
In actuality, many adults who are unfamiliar with home schooled children are impressed upon meeting them. As a generalization and in my own experience, homeschooled children are friendly to adults, intellegent, and good-hearted. So some of them are not the most fashionable or have unique interests, how does negatively affect the adult people they will become?
Sorry for rambling! If I were in your shoes, I would do it in a heartbeat. It seems as if things were meant to be!
Exactly! I wish that my husband would think of the home schooled kids we know in OUR area, instead of going off of what other people say, and the one family he knew growing up. They ARE weird. But they turned out exactly like their parents. No big surprise

I still keep praying that God will work in his heart.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
that's so not true. My bff homeschools her kids and so do all her sisters. They all belong to homeschooling groups and do TONS of trips and events together.
Yup. We have some great home schooling groups here as well. My sister is home schooling her daughter too. She's in K this year, so they're just starting out. Also, my friend and business partner is also home schooling, and I can only see the positive in what she's doing. The only problem is that my husband isn't a huge fan of this friend. She talks a lot Kind of opinionated, haha.