Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Registered Users
What is it about the weekend???

I work full time and pump then bf on demand in evenings. I am usually getting 10-12 oz at my morning pump sessions. I swear my boobs can tell time- Saturday and Sunday mornings I wake up engorged and pump around 18oz just for comfort! I understand that your supply increases with more time around baby, but the only difference in routine is Friday afternoons I pick up LO early from the babysitter's. I rarely ever experience engorgement any other time and I only ever leak Saturday and Sunday mornings. Anyone else have crazy supply issues on weekends?

Wife. Midwife. Mother. Not necessarily in that order depending on the day!
dudleypippen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: What is it about the weekend???

Yes and no; oversupply will never be my issue, so on days when I'm with LO I've got to pump just to keep up. Why? I finally made a bar chart to show my mother that illustrated the mechanics of pumping for daycare vs nursing (unfortunately I don't do pictures here), here it is in math.

Nursing: baby needs to eat A.
Pumping: baby still only needs to eat A. But you have to have sufficient supply to account for A + B (provider overfeeds) + C (it's easy to get milk from the bottle/need to suck) + D (pump fails to well empty breast compared to baby).

So on days when I'm home with LO, I have to pump enough to make up B+C+D, while baby continues to eat A. Otherwise LO will not have enough milk on days when I'm at work. I look at the positive, it means I end up with a freezer stash.

Hope that helps.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: What is it about the weekend???

Yes. I have maintained an oversupply because I work full time and need extra for bottles (babies always take more from the bottle than the breast) during the week, so on the weekend if I don't pump I wind up massively engorged (he takes much less if I BF on demand). I was determined that I was not going to pump yesterday and I gave the poor little guy a work out. I just wished he had been that efficient as a newborn It was really nice not to pump though, first day in seven months I haven't pumped.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote