Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: chicken drama help

because dog and cat food can have too much salt for chicken's kidneys is what I read. There's other sources for extra protein but if your feed isn't providing them enough I would go back to square one and change the feed. dry mealworms, cooked eggs, plain yogurt, black oil sunflower seed (boss) are all good sources for a fast boost.

Sounds like you have a hen that's decided she will fill the shoes of a rooster. My rooster does the same thing to my hens, chases them and nips their necks/backs. It's a dominating act. "Hey I'm boss, don't even think about crossing my path". What does the inside of your coop look like? Do they have enough space to roost/is there one roost that they are all cramming themselves onto? Big enough run? A red light might help stop night-picking but not much beyond that. Treats are a temporary distraction, but the pecking order has to get established and that will continue until it does. I think you are only delaying it. Separating the aggressive hen will only cause her to peck, kick and claw her way back up the totem pole when she gets back into the flock. You can wait it out, re- home her or get a rooster.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
because dog and cat food can have too much salt for chicken's kidneys is what I read. There's other sources for extra protein but if your feed isn't providing them enough I would go back to square one and change the feed. dry mealworms, cooked eggs, plain yogurt, black oil sunflower seed (boss) are all good sources for a fast boost.

Sounds like you have a hen that's decided she will fill the shoes of a rooster. My rooster does the same thing to my hens, chases them and nips their necks/backs. It's a dominating act. "Hey I'm boss, don't even think about crossing my path". What does the inside of your coop look like? Do they have enough space to roost/is there one roost that they are all cramming themselves onto? Big enough run? A red light might help stop night-picking but not much beyond that. Treats are a temporary distraction, but the pecking order has to get established and that will continue until it does. I think you are only delaying it. Separating the aggressive hen will only cause her to peck, kick and claw her way back up the totem pole when she gets back into the flock. You can wait it out, re- home her or get a rooster.

I agree!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaura

Hens have a pecking order... So yes it could be overcrowding regardless if is only one being pecked at. What kind of vinegar? I would get raw unpasterized apple cider vinegar. It can help calm the hens down as well other health benefits.

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone
It was organic, but I assume its pasteurized? I bought it at a regular grocery.

We do have plans to add on to the coop after the holiday. Hopefully they can handle two more days.

Thanks again everyone! I have a backyards chicken account, but I am totally overwhelmed on there. I love that I can get chicken help on my fav cloth diaper website!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Could be overcrowding, or just boredom. Try to give them more space or allow for an hour or so of free-ranging a day, and add healthy treats (in a wide variety).

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny

It was organic, but I assume its pasteurized? I bought it at a regular grocery.

We do have plans to add on to the coop after the holiday. Hopefully they can handle two more days.

Thanks again everyone! I have a backyards chicken account, but I am totally overwhelmed on there. I love that I can get chicken help on my fav cloth diaper website!
Look for Braggs. I get mine at whole foods.

ETA: raw unpasterized apple cider vinegar has GREAT health benefits for chickens and all animals.

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)

Last edited by lalaura; 07-03-2012 at 08:22 PM.
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote