Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #51
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

Yeah...I would find a different doctor. I have a hard time being told what I can/can't do with my kids. She seems confrontational and too busy. I would be so turned off by someone acting too busy, to me it just seems elitist. Do these doctors forget that we pay their salaries??

I have gone to swanky pediatricians, average pediatricians and after my last home birth my baby needed to seen within 48 hrs of the birth. I couldn't find anyone who agreed to see him. I ended up taking him to the walk in clinic for medicaid recipients or people with no insurance. The pediatrician is fabulous. She CARES about people. I switched all three of my boys to her right away. Her office isn't fancy, you can tell most of her stuff is donated, but she is awesome. She cares about my kids, REMEMBERS me, doesn't give me crap about vaxs. She even asked me questions about homebirth and was genuinely interested.

Advertisement

Last edited by mamashhon; 07-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
mamashhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #52
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician)

So, my problem would be this: DS2 at his 9 month appointment was both teething and had some sort of cold. I requested to do the shots 2 weeks later so that I wouldn't overload his immune system (he already had a mild fever) and make him even more miserable than he already was.

She said fine, we came back in 2 weeks and got the (normal, scheduled) shots no problem.

With this pedi, it sounds like she doesn't trust the parents if they are unable to even split scheduled vaxes into separate days. You need to trust her, but she needs to trust that you're a good parent, too. I feel like super busy doctors don't let themselves trust parents because if they do, it slows them down - they have to listen.

Which leads me to ask this: During the interview, did she listen and converse with you at all or just tell you who she is and what she does?

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #53
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear
Which leads me to ask this: During the interview, did she listen and converse with you at all or just tell you who she is and what she does?
I was wondering this too.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #54
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

The "my way or the highway" attitude would bother me. I like doctors who listen to what I have to say and respect it even if they don't agree. I do like a dr who lays it out straight, but I wouldn't choose the one you described.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #55
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

She did take 20min to meet with me and answered all questions I had... That said DH and I had a long talk last night and decided that the pros couldn't be ignored esp with the possibility of health problems. That said we aren't married to her and if I get a bad feeling about her I will find a new ped after terra Lynn is here.

Thanks for all your input!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #56
crunch!910
Registered Users

Yuck. I'd be running far, far away! I understand it isn't likely you'll find a ped that likes it when parents don't vaccinate, but one that downright refuses a delayed schedule? That is just nuts!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #57
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
She did take 20min to meet with me and answered all questions I had... That said DH and I had a long talk last night and decided that the pros couldn't be ignored esp with the possibility of health problems. That said we aren't married to her and if I get a bad feeling about her I will find a new ped after terra Lynn is here.

While I understand that she said that she was busy, taking 20 minutes to speak with a potential new patient's family says to me that she'll take time to meet your concerns. That 20 minutes is easily 2 appointment slots that could have been filled with paying patients as opposed to an interview.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #58
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline

I'm glad you guys have made a decision. Good luck to you all!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #59
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post

Good luck with your decision. As you said, you aren't married to her. My oldest is 10 now, and on his 5th pediatrician. Three of those changes were because we moved, but the others were because we discovered after some time that we just weren't a good fit (or that one of the doctors on staff was a total quack but that's a long story for another time ). Now we have a wonderful pediatrician who listens to our questions and works with us, is terrific with the kids, and refers us when necessary. If this one works for you, great, and if not there are plenty of others out there.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #60
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Thumbs down Re: Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
The no delayed vaxing would be a dealbreaker for me even if I fully vaxed on schedule. I think when drs. have a very close minded approach to vaxing, it also may lead to other treatments. I would want a dr that cares and trusts that parents are capable of making decisions for their children.
To me, bedside manner matters. And as this poster said, regardless of your opinion on vaccination, I want my ped to trust me as a parent, and to respect my choices. I want there to be back-and-forth, not a person who thinks it is their job to tell me how to raise my children.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote