Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #151
DCAMama's Avatar
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Just outside the middle of nowhere
Posts: 772
My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
Just curious, why do hats being on straight matter? They are a casual fashion statement in th first place right? Personally I can't stand them and prefer just about any other style of hat but they really only look correct to me when the bill is flat and tilted to the side (in teens, that would be weird on a little kid). Maybe it's a generational thing?
DH and I were born in the early 70s and think it looks tacky. I think a lot of "fashion statements" are generational. Pants hanging down to the knees, hats on crooked, visors backwards and upside down are all generational things.




Advertisement

__________________
Dayna - Proud mama to my 3 sons - D (17) , C (16) , and A (2)
Check out my Wildtree here
DCAMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #152
nrsenadenos's Avatar
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 8,874
My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

I don't think that it costs extra $$$ to keep them clothed modestly. 90% of our clothing is bought used or is hand me downs. If it's something I don't like/don't approve of then it doesn't make it into the drawers - either I don't buy it or if it's given to us then I sort through it and donate what we can't/won't use. The kids don't need a ton of things either - we generally have about 6-8 everyday outfits worth of stuff and then 1-2 church type outfits at the start of the season, and add to it as necessary. I spend roughly $100 twice a year for all 5 kids (not including shoes, underwear, and socks which I only buy new). So less than $20 a month if you break it down...

And my kids dress themselves most days, though I do reserve veto power if we are going somewhere nice like church.
__________________
Nicole A not-very-crunchy-but-here-anyways Mommy to:
River 10/10/11 Caleb1/29/10, Shane3/31/08, Athena2/5/07,
Jasmine7/20/05
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #153
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
You don't need money for modesty.

But to decide stripes aren't the correct width? That is gonna cost more.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #154
BNC's Avatar
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,507
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
Just curious, why do hats being on straight matter? They are a casual fashion statement in th first place right? Personally I can't stand them and prefer just about any other style of hat but they really only look correct to me when the bill is flat and tilted to the side (in teens, that would be weird on a little kid). Maybe it's a generational thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwinge View Post
DH and I were born in the early 70s and think it looks tacky. I think a lot of "fashion statements" are generational. Pants hanging down to the knees, hats on crooked, visors backwards and upside down are all generational things.



Its definitely generational. I cant stand the way flat brims look! IMO it looks tacky and "I wanna be a bad@ss but I'm a loser who still lives in my moms garage" Its worse on anyone over 16, IMO.

Im only 7 years older than you (28), but when I was in high school we used to put a baseball in the brim of the hat and rubber band the brim down around it so that it was very curved. They were worn straight (forward or back).
__________________
Jen -momma to MaryKate 12/13/07, Kara 7/22/09, Adalane "Laney" 2/9/11, ^angel^ 10/13, & Jacob 8/21/14

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #155
drunkenmonkeysmommy1's Avatar
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: right outside of Memphis ,TN
Posts: 5,675
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
I'm only 21 so I'm used to my peers wearing them sideways...and the more I think about it the people who are actuallyout in the sun working or doing sprots do wear them properly. Where I am in CA it's barely ever sunny enough to need eye protection so I think I see a lot of them sideways b/c of that. Plus theres a huge marijuana growing culture here so everyones trying to fit that "baller" image. lol. Fashion trends are so weird.

ETA: that pic is hilarious!
You hit is right on the head. We do not want our kids to look like "baller" wannabes
__________________
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...0#post15969570
wet bags,snack bags,super hero capes, dino tails, tutus ,crayon rolls, tote bags,cloth diaper key chains,kid's aprons, car roll ups, and much more!
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #156
drunkenmonkeysmommy1's Avatar
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: right outside of Memphis ,TN
Posts: 5,675
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC

Its definitely generational. I cant stand the way flat brims look! IMO it looks tacky and "I wanna be a bad@ss but I'm a loser who still lives in my moms garage" Its worse on anyone over 16, IMO.

Im only 7 years older than you (28), but when I was in high school we used to put a baseball in the brim of the hat and rubber band the brim down around it so that it was very curved. They were worn straight (forward or back).
I remember doing the ball and rubber band trick!
I honestly do not care if ds wears his hat backwards. I think it is cute.
For most of my childhood / teenage years, I lived in an area infested with gangs. Every time I see a hat on sideways now, I think gang, gang wannabe, idiot.
Dh says only facing forward or no hat at all.
__________________
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...0#post15969570
wet bags,snack bags,super hero capes, dino tails, tutus ,crayon rolls, tote bags,cloth diaper key chains,kid's aprons, car roll ups, and much more!
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #157
crunch!910's Avatar
crunch!910
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,208
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
You don't need money for modesty.

But to decide stripes aren't the correct width? That is gonna cost more.

Nope, having certain preferences for clothing does not have to cost more money. I RARELY buy new clothing. I get hand me downs and I shop consignment such as Once Upon a Child. It simply means I am more selective of what I buy, and in the case of hand me downs, if I don't like it, I donate it.

I thought of more to add to the list.

I do not put my boys in camo. I've just never cared for it.
Oh, and I don't do onesies past 1 year old. Same reason for the romper, because I prefer tshirt/shorts and they just aren't practical at that age anymore.

As for those that replied about the rompers... I have a 2.5 year old. I just really cannot imagine still dressing him in rompers/onesies when he is a big boy, potty trained since before 2yrs old, and is clearly not a baby anymore. I guess I just see that as baby clothing, so once they are a year old and no longer a baby, I give that clothing up???? Probably also has something to do with my dislike for snaps at that age because often they are trying to wiggle away from clothes/diaper changes and its easier to just pull up shorts than fumble with snaps.
__________________
Mommy to M (9/09) & G (4/12) & expecting Feb 2014
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #158
DCAMama's Avatar
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Just outside the middle of nowhere
Posts: 772
My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
Its definitely generational. I cant stand the way flat brims look! IMO it looks tacky and "I wanna be a bad@ss but I'm a loser who still lives in my moms garage" Its worse on anyone over 16, IMO.

Im only 7 years older than you (28), but when I was in high school we used to put a baseball in the brim of the hat and rubber band the brim down around it so that it was very curved. They were worn straight (forward or back).
I "stole" my 16 years old's cap once because it had the straight brim and curved it slightly. Oh, he was mad at me

I'm a lot older than you and we did that with our hats. Or used a soup can, sprayed the brim with a little water just to get it damp, and wrapped the brim around the can. Man, that held that curve forever.
__________________
Dayna - Proud mama to my 3 sons - D (17) , C (16) , and A (2)
Check out my Wildtree here
DCAMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #159
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,275
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Wowzers, these are a lot of rules! Some are so specific I would never remember them or keep track of them.

Personally, I have 4 kids (3 boys, 1 girl).

Rules for Boys:
-Hair be buzzed (my husband's demand... I think they'll rebel at 18 and be long haired hippies because of it though. )
-Ball caps on when outside (to shield the face from sun)
-Pants need to fit properly (we farm and so machinery and too loose of clothing can be a hazard)

Rules for Girls:
-the 3 B's be covered
-leggings or shorts under dress or skirt when they start wearing underwear

--- With character stuff and matching stuff... I think (for me and our family) life is too short to battle with clothes (I'll pick internal character stuff to deal with over clothes anyday). I'll let them pick out their clothes and wear their favorite characters.... No, I don't love Thomas or Diego and No, certain colors don't match, but it makes them happy and who cares in the long run... I wore a Minnie Mouse sweater as a child (around 6yrs old). It was hideous (looking back), but I loved that sweater with a passion. It makes me laugh, fondly, now and I'm glad my mom didn't break my heart and say I couldn't wear it. i have a picture of me in it and it still makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. She picked her battles with us and as long as we wore clothes that showed respect, she kept her fashion opinions to herself.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #160
jamie714's Avatar
jamie714
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910

Nope, having certain preferences for clothing does not have to cost more money. I RARELY buy new clothing. I get hand me downs and I shop consignment such as Once Upon a Child. It simply means I am more selective of what I buy, and in the case of hand me downs, if I don't like it, I donate it.

I thought of more to add to the list.

I do not put my boys in camo. I've just never cared for it.
Oh, and I don't do onesies past 1 year old. Same reason for the romper, because I prefer tshirt/shorts and they just aren't practical at that age anymore.

As for those that replied about the rompers... I have a 2.5 year old. I just really cannot imagine still dressing him in rompers/onesies when he is a big boy, potty trained since before 2yrs old, and is clearly not a baby anymore. I guess I just see that as baby clothing, so once they are a year old and no longer a baby, I give that clothing up???? Probably also has something to do with my dislike for snaps at that age because often they are trying to wiggle away from clothes/diaper changes and its easier to just pull up shorts than fumble with snaps.
The idea of if it takes more money or not is totally related to how much you already spend. I spend $0 in clothing. It is all we can do to pay bills and buy food right now. So for me to be selective would cost more than $0. We only have what we get as hand me downs, that is why I cannot be selective and cannot just choose to accept certain items. The good thing is we get clothes from family who have similar values to us, but
modest and clean is all I can choose.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.