Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for all the responses everyone! I love this community because you are all so nice and helpful!

I'm going to keep trying to get him on his back but his head control is amazing for his age so hopefully he starts rolling/holding his head up early so i can stop stressing about it. I guess the rnp is just where he will sleep till he starts sleeping on his back or he gets head control/rolling skills.

Advertisement

pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: tummy sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermomma View Post
I know it isn't recommended but my 3w baby seems to only want to sleep on his tummy. We have him in a rock n play at night but whenever i try and sleep him in his pack n play or on the couch he cries unless he is on his side or tummy (and even his side is hit or miss)

How did you deal with this or anyone have suggestions? We are going to have to move him out of the rock n play eventually and I am a ftm that us terrified of sids.
My kiddos just slept in their swings. We had one in our bedroom, and one downstairs. It really helps with reflux.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I say do whatever works for you. Honestly, these kinds of recommendations change a lot! They used to always say to put the baby to sleep on their bellies. Always! If you don't, surely they will choke on spit up, possibly to the point of death. And then it was back or side. And now it's only back, never side. Really, do whatever works. I would be more cautious if you have some of the other sids risk factors, such as smoking and what-not. But SIDS is a very small risk. I think people are so scared of it because it's got a lot of media attention and we're made to be scared of everything. If you look at the numbers though, they're really very low. So try not to stress. All three of mine slept on their bellies from day 1.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

5 out of 6 of mine were belly sleepers, including my 6 wk old. he will sleep on his side if he i up against my boob or has his arms by his face. we co-sleep and so I am not worried. he has rolled from his back to side/belly from birth so I can't really stop him, nor would I.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

My son slept on his tummy from 2 weeks onward. I watched him very closely and he slept with us anyway.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This post is giving me anxiety! I guess back to sleep has been drilled into me. I would not put my baby to sleep that way until he or she could roll over. I know sids doesn't happen to everyone but it is a big risk and one I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with. I would not be able to sleep bring worried about that. Plus I couldn't live with myself if something happened. Ultimately it is up to you as parent though.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl View Post
This post is giving me anxiety! I guess back to sleep has been drilled into me. I would not put my baby to sleep that way until he or she could roll over. I know sids doesn't happen to everyone but it is a big risk and one I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with. I would not be able to sleep bring worried about that. Plus I couldn't live with myself if something happened. Ultimately it is up to you as parent though.
Anxiety is why the OP posted. It's drilled into all new parents by every newborn care class, and every pediatrician, that babies should sleep on their backs. Each Halo sleep sack is embroidered with "Back is Best". That label haunted me everytime I put DD down to sleep on her tummy. I doubt that any of these moms who posted let their babies nonchalantly sleep on their tummies without a bit of anxiety at first. However, if your child does nothing but cry when put down on his back, the options are 1) no sleep or 2) turn baby over on his tummy and sleep.

DD's back sleeping was so fitful, she really never got any rest. Finally after days of resistent back sleeping, she put up a fight and cried for 20 minutes until she spat up. I caved after that.

Last edited by Shimpie; 07-06-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
kferg
Registered Users

My DS is a tummy sleeper. I waited until he was able to lift his own head really well before I let him sleep in his tummy just to be careful. He slept in his rock and play till he was about 3 months then I moved him to his own room.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
jayv85
Registered Users
seller

Mine slept, but I think he would have slept better if he was on his tummy. He didn't start sleeping better until he was around 4 months when he learned to roll over and then he started sleeping on his belly. I didn't move him because it was pointless, he'd just roll back over anyway.
jayv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used the rock and play sleeper for 7 months. When he started trying to sit up we had to stop, but he is a tummy sleeper now who hated laying on his back unless he was cosleeping, so the RNP was our best friend.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe