Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do you....

We did the opposite approach although I'm not sure it would work now that your kids are older. From the time the first was born, I never asked anyone to be quiet during naps/nighttime. When it was just the first, I kind of made a ruckas myself (cleaning, music, whatever). When the younger ones came along, I let them be as loud as normal. The littles learn to sleep through it and you don't have issues when your away from home or have visitors over who aren't used to LOs in the house. Maybe if you played music in the LOs room it would keep him from waking up as easy?

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We did the opposite approach although I'm not sure it would work now that your kids are older. From the time the first was born, I never asked anyone to be quiet during naps/nighttime. When it was just the first, I kind of made a ruckas myself (cleaning, music, whatever). When the younger ones came along, I let them be as loud as normal. The littles learn to sleep through it and you don't have issues when your away from home or have visitors over who aren't used to LOs in the house. Maybe if you played music in the LOs room it would keep him from waking up as easy?
This is how we did it too.

However, my olders are 6 and 2 who are 4. They still have quiet time during afternoon nap. But, if for some reason I let them stay up, I don't worry about the noise. I prefer it not be right outside the toddlers' room, but I don't worry too much.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
Fan in their room
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have kids similar in age...and the same problem. So.. I use a white noise thing for baby, but it last only for 45 min- not long enough. So I get them to color, watch a movie or we play outside. I have a 700sq foot home. And they do wake her sometimes anyway, it sucks.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
TV. I PBS. I know it won't be the popular answer, but it's the truth.
us too
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put on some educational netflix and have DD1 lay quietly on my bed and watch as a quiet time. She watches Word Girl, Leap Frog, Sesame, Super Why, and the other PBS shows for about an hour, then we quietly play games or do school at the kitchen table.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have quiet time. Puzzles, coloring, or they go outside
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's movie time for them. Then they get to relax as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have white noise in both kids rooms. DS sleeps. DD has "quiet time". She can play quietly with her stuffed animals or read with her Tag Reader while the white noise is on. After about an hour, I will turn off her white noise machine and offer to send her outside to play. If she wants to come back in before DS wakes up, then she can go back to reading with her Tag reader OR reading books in our library. Occasionally, I'll let her watch a half-hour show (Super Why, Martha Speaks, Dinosaur Train, or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse), but that generally only happens on super-bad weather days when DS takes a particularly long nap.