Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

Does anyone do K12?

I am still in the process of researching and deciding if homeschooling is right for us. DS#1 is 4.5, so we have another year before kindergarten and I want to use that time to make the best decision for him and our family as I can. My neighbor, whom I love, was over yesterday and had just come from a k12 conference thing. She gave me some materials she picked up. She's been doing it for 3 years (i think) and swears by it. But I would like to hear some others' opinions as well.

What appeals to me is the structure. I feel that if I do choose to go down the HS path, I will need a lot of structure and someone outside our home to be accountable to in order to keep on top of things. That's just how I am, I know others are different and don't feel that need. What other options may be out there that have the same level of accountability** built in? Any?

Just ISO basic thoughts and opinions on K12 and any comprable program.

TIA

**I hope my wording doesn't come across as offensive to anyone. I just didn't know how to word that I feel *I* need a lot of support and structure becuase I know how *I* tend to slack off. Eg: I had a year to do my senior thesis in college when my advising professor told me to "just get it done in your own time." I ended up doing the whole thing in the last two weeks before it was due! I need to answer to someone other than my child or I fear I'll totally screw up!

Advertisement

1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone do K12?

From what I know of it, K12 is a very good program. It is very structured if that's what you like or what you need. Do you have a virtual school in your state? We do and if you get picked (it's by lottery) then they provide the K12 curriculum to you for free. We did get picked this year but we turned it down. I love structure, too, but I felt that my daughter's needs would be better met with different curriculum. Good luck with your decision!