Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please tell me this is only a phase!!

My 3 year old ds is, well, being such a 3 year old! lol! No, really – my guy is making me want to pull my hair out. It seems like anytime I try to talk to him, he ignores me... even while we’re having fun together. If I tell him to stop doing something, money could be bet that he will do it at least one more time and usually until I physically remove him. He’s very defiant, yelling NO to everything from “It’s time to brush teeth” to “Would you like to go play at the park?” He fights everything, and I feel like he needs constant direction. It’s getting more and more challenging to keep my cool – I have to make a conscious decision every single morning to be a calm, patient, and understanding mommy. This is just a phase and will soon pass, right?!?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sounds appropriate to me It helps if you call their name first, make eye contact(if possible, may need to tap on the arm/hand ect), then give directions. Also keep offering choices but phrase it to where the answer 'no' wont make sense. Ex-do you want to go to the park or play in the back yard? Do you want the blue or yellow plate? And pick a phrase for when there are no choices. I simply said 'not a choice' ex-me-time to brush teeth, kid-no!, me-not a choice, then I may have to physcially take their hand and lead them to the bathroom while i would say 'would you like the pink or blue toothbrush', 'do you want to start or me to start' ect. This too shall pass as long as you stick to your guns oh and ftr I never understood why ppl said terrible 2s. It should totally be terrible 3s lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me this is only a phase!!

Mine was b4 2 til like 3 to 4.......
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I absolutely could have written this exact thread! My 3yo ds is the same way - I have no advice for you, hopefully it will get better soon!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

phase? I dunno. If so the 'phase' continues on until at least 4.5. Awesome day here with Mr. 4.5. I spose 4 is a *little* better than 3
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We've definitely seen our share of defiance over the last couple of years, but before, it would come and go and wasn't so intense! Glad to know it's normal I guess. We are doing our best to keep things lighthearted and simple, but some, no, most days I feel lucky we survived through bedtime! I suppose I need to get used to it!

Last edited by LnzsOut; 07-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.
LnzsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Glad to know I'm not alone! I could've written that post about my 3.5yo DS, and it's all new to me because my DD wasn't like that at all!
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LnzsOut
We've definitely seen our share of defiance over the last couple of years, but before, it would come and go and wasn't so intense! Glad to know it's normal I guess. We are doing our best to keep things lighthearted and simple, but some, no, most days I feel lucky we survived through bedtime! I suppose I need to get used to it!
I know the feeling! Dh gets so frustrated, and I keep trying to tell him ds acts this way because he's 3, not because hes a bad child. He's not gonna be like this forever (hopefully!). It is good to know we're not alone though.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl75 View Post
I know the feeling! Dh gets so frustrated, and I keep trying to tell him ds acts this way because he's 3, not because hes a bad child. He's not gonna be like this forever (hopefully!). It is good to know we're not alone though.

We're having the same issue! In fact, DH and I just had a long conversation about it last night. He's is usually so incredibly patient about everything, but my guy has been wearing him out (and he's the one that works!)