Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice or suggestions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Have you ever had a child this age? It's not uncommon for them to start to be aware of their bodies. And be shy about it. I'm leaning towards maybe you haven't experienced this age yet. It's an age where kids are starting to exert a lot of independent over things. I don't think this child has 'body issues' he is uncomfortable. My oldest would be too. My youngest would be glad to walk around naked. Lol. It's not that weird.
Yep, that. He's actually a very insightful and mature kid for wanting to maintain his privacy. Forcing him to go against those instincts (the the lessons on privacy that he has no doubt been receiving for a while) would actually be counter-productive and possibly confusing for him, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I would send him in with a long shirt that covers all 'private' areas.

ALL my kids have been private with their bodies at that age. It's normal. We teach them to keep their privates private so I don't think it's a big deal!
I like the shirt idea, or the velcro on the towel. If he isn't comfortable with those ideas, I would check with the camp to see if he can have permission to use a bathroom or separate room. I understand the convenience of keeping them all in the same place, but surely there is no camp rule that REQUIRES them to change in the same room. If so, I would have some serious questions for the leadership.

Advertisement

TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs

Yep, that. He's actually a very insightful and mature kid for wanting to maintain his privacy. Forcing him to go against those instincts (the the lessons on privacy that he has no doubt been receiving for a while) would actually be counter-productive and possibly confusing for him, IMO.

I like the shirt idea, or the velcro on the towel. If he isn't comfortable with those ideas, I would check with the camp to see if he can have permission to use a bathroom or separate room. I understand the convenience of keeping them all in the same place, but surely there is no camp rule that REQUIRES them to change in the same room. If so, I would have some serious questions for the leadership.
You might be surprised. There was a rule in HS that you "HAD" to change in the locker area and not the bathroom stalls. Totally lame and I hated it!!!!!

Hopefully this camp doesn't have this rule!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
You might be surprised. There was a rule in HS that you "HAD" to change in the locker area and not the bathroom stalls. Totally lame and I hated it!!!!!

Hopefully this camp doesn't have this rule!
That's true. I had forgotten - our school had that rule, too. But, we also had a bathroom stall and 2-3 shower stalls in each locker room, so there were privacy options. Did other schools have them, too?
I just hope they are understanding about it. Especially with so many kids having too-early sexual experiences and bullying, it seems wrong to discourage genuine modesty.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs

That's true. I had forgotten - our school had that rule, too. But, we also had a bathroom stall and 2-3 shower stalls in each locker room, so there were privacy options. Did other schools have them, too?
I just hope they are understanding about it. Especially with so many kids having too-early sexual experiences and bullying, it seems wrong to discourage genuine modesty.
We had a shower area with a small separation wall. Same for the toilet! We weren't allowed to change in them though I never used the shower or the toilet. Privacy people!!!!!!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and ideas. I am going to give some of them a try. I am going to camp next week for parent day so I will talk to his camp counselors then.