Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
need ideas for YMCA gym birthday games

So I am planning DS's 4th birthday with the YMCA gym and the bounce house, however they have no ideas to offer as to what else I might entertain the kids with. They said they can set up basketball, soccer, obstacle course but I am not sure that DS would even be interested in that- anyone have any ideas?

It will be 4,5,6yo so the team sports seem "cat wrangling" and the obstacle course seems too young.

TIA!

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: need ideas for YMCA gym birthday games

I guess we lucked out with our YMCA's Gym Parties. They entertained the kids with games and obstacle courses for 1hr15minutes!!!! Then we had cake and ice cream in the balcony, afterward.

The obstacle courses were VERY popular. My boys are 2,3,4 yrs old and the age range of the kids that went were 2-6yrs. old.
The parachute was also fun for them... the one that you all lift up together and crawl under...
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 4yo (5 in Sept) DD and my nearly 7yo niece both love obstacle courses. I'd go that route. Obstacle courses (especially if you set up 2 or more side by side and have team races) are a staple of elementary PE. I would not do organized sports. Did you go to camp as a child? Try some of the games/activities that you liked there.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a pen? I'm about to spew too much info.

Set up hula hoops for each kid when you blow the whistle they must all find a hoop. (This is a good way to get their attention when transitioning from one thing to another.)

They might enjoy circle games. Do you have any experience with those?

Obstacle courses or stations are fun. You blow the whistle and they move to the next station.

Bean bag toss is fun for the smaller ones that can't do the basketball yet.
There are so many bean bag games: Can ypou balance it on your foot, on your head, on your head with one foot up, on your knee.

Parachute time can take up a chunk of time. Will you have access to one of those?

We would do a walk around the perimeter to start off. First walk, then slow walk, then fast walk, then skip, then backwards, then chicken walk. The kids would giggle over that one.

I have so many more.

If you can't do it or don't have the personality to do it I would ask for a recommendation for someone who could run the activities while you enjoyed the guests. I had coaches that could make even the most difficult coach potatoes get up and move.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.

Last edited by Agla; 07-12-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Wow! Does every YMCA do this?? We're members, and that sounds like a potential for DS's next birthday (an entire year away, he just turned 2 last weekend ).

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1
Wow! Does every YMCA do this?? We're members, and that sounds like a potential for DS's next birthday (an entire year away, he just turned 2 last weekend ).
It depends on the "Y" but some do. One "Y" had cooking parties for kids too or access to the kid's fitness room.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote