Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Mom taught us the butt drop/drag when we were little and figured out there were stairs. Scooting down on your butt is fun for some littles, especially if mama is doing it right next to them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

maybe you could post a pic of your stairs and someone might have an idea how to gate it off?

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: My daughter has a death wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Spend a whole day with her going up and down the stairs. It gets some of the fun out of it because she doesn't feel like she's not allowed to do it. Plus, even if she stays super excited about the stairs and wants to do it all the time, you'll have taught her how to go up and down safely and won't have as many falls. She'll have lots of practice under her belt and hopefully by then it won't scare the jimminy cricket out of you. It's a win-win.
This! My 10 month old is just starting to walk, but she's been able to go up and down the stairs for a few weeks now. I never had any luck with using baby gates to keep my son out of places I didn't want him (he'd get them down or climb over) so I haven't really bothered this time around. My daughter crawls up the stairs, and scoots back down feet first on her stomach.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a mesh retractable gate too. DH had to build something to attach it on the rail side. Then within a year (we have 2 2 year olds) of it being up it had been pulled out of the wall no less than 3 times and there was no drywall left to keep reinstalling it. So, then he had to build something on the wall side too. We're using 200lbs worth of anchors but 2 20-25lb kiddos can rip it down!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to try working on the stairs with her. My other kids were not real interested in the stairs till they were 18 months and walking. At that point I taught them to walk up and scoot down. I will see how it works.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Another vote to teach her! I taught my kids as soon as they could crawl. (With the exception of my first baby, they were all pretty late crawlers.)