Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah

well thats fine. If the OP is looking for help and not wanting to wait this out any longer, there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe her daughter would stop tomorrow suddenly, but why not just research a few options in case she needs a little extra help?

OP, I know a lot of people do like Happiest Baby on the Block, Baby Whisperer, No Cry Sleep Solution in addition to another that a PP mentioned. There is nothing wrong with reading thru and picking and choosing what works for you. Even if a book is not pro-co sleeping, there still might be a few things that you can gain from it and apply in your own way.
Certainly if she wants help, but you did say that they wouldn't 'transition to the next sleep cycle' without OPs assistance, which in our case has not been true. DD2 was waking every hour for about 2 months at that age, as was DD1. I would put her in bed with us at the 1 st waking. One day she began waking only 2 times, then 1, then none, without us changing anything. Now the night waking is the exception, not the rule. That's all I was saying, that you don't always have to do something, sometimes it just passes.

I've heard night weaning helps in some cases.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

Elizabeth Pantley's book 'The No Cry Sleep Solution' deals with this subject well. She offers gentle solutions for both co sleeping and non co sleeping parents on how to get baby to transition through the sleep cycles on their own. I definitely, definitely recommend it. You should be able to find it in the library.
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Totally normal. I am anti-CIO so I just got good at not fully waking when dd needed boob. The nights were like a blur but after I adjusted I always felt rested in the mornings. It really worked. The wakings should space out with age or between milestones/teething.

The night wakings nearly stopped when we were forced to wean because my milk went away with pregnancy. At 3yo She still sort of wakes once just to make sure someone is in bed with her.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why does DD wake every 45 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Certainly if she wants help, but you did say that they wouldn't 'transition to the next sleep cycle' without OPs assistance, which in our case has not been true. DD2 was waking every hour for about 2 months at that age, as was DD1. I would put her in bed with us at the 1 st waking. One day she began waking only 2 times, then 1, then none, without us changing anything. Now the night waking is the exception, not the rule. That's all I was saying, that you don't always have to do something, sometimes it just passes.

I've heard night weaning helps in some cases.
I meant that HER daughter needed help transitioning IMO, not that every kid every where was incapable of transitioning on their own. yes some things pass with time but the OP already said that she was thinking about doing something further and wanting advice. theres nothing wrong with not waiting and just trying a few things.

Last edited by doodah; 07-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah

I meant that HER daughter needed help transitioning IMO, not that every kid every where was incapable of transitioning on their own. yes some things pass with time but the OP already said that she was thinking about doing something further and wanting advice. theres nothing wrong with not waiting and just trying a few things.
Sorry, sounded like a more general statement the way I read it. Certainly nothing wrong with trying a few things.

Isn't there an 8 month sleep regression too?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

I appreciate the book titles, will look into those. I seem to remember Dr. Sears writing something in The Baby Book about how some babies naturally have a difficult time shifting gears or winding down for bed, and it's part of their psychological constitution but not necessarily a deficiency. Fortunately my baby is not a "high-need" child during the day time.

My next challenge is what to do once she outgrows the cosleeper, which will be pretty soon. I'm thinking our mattress will go on the floor. Only one bedroom in my house!
JulieHyphenAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

Of course, I'm also reassured to know that this stage will come to an end at some point. I am telling myself that my AP/cosleeping ways did not contribute to this hard situation (I refuse to call it a "problem"). But it would be easy to think that IF I had chosen a different sleep arrangement my DD might be sleeping longer. Who even knows?
JulieHyphenAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
chemnerd
Registered Users

Re: Why does DD wake every 45 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHyphenAnn View Post
Of course, I'm also reassured to know that this stage will come to an end at some point. I am telling myself that my AP/cosleeping ways did not contribute to this hard situation (I refuse to call it a "problem"). But it would be easy to think that IF I had chosen a different sleep arrangement my DD might be sleeping longer. Who even knows?
I know exactly how you feel. My son nursed for comfort many many times a night until he was 8 months old and we finally gave in to CIO because nothing else we tried worked and I never felt rested. Even after CIO he still woke a lot at night, but less. He is now 2.5 and rarely sleeps through a night with out needing some hugs for comfort (it was only half a year ago that my DH stopped sleeping on his floor most nights). However my 4 month old daughter sleeps like an angel in her bassinet. Some nights I have to replace her paci regularly, but she will sleep the whole night with out eating most nights.
With my son we co-slept those early months and don't with my DD. My son was nursed and my DD is formula fed. There are so many differences in our parenting between the two of them plus they are very different babies so I can't know what makes the difference in their sleep habits, but my DH and I frequently wonder if our much more AP-style with our son early on created his poor sleeping habits. We don't really believe it, but we still debate it.
Sorry, no real advice, just hugs because I know how you feel.
chemnerd is offline   Reply With Quote