Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
early potty training

I was hoping to try potty training early with my DD but I am not sure if she's ready yet or not. She has started telling me "potty potty" when she goes but only after the fact. I have tried putting her in training pants for a day or two with diapers only at night or naps and she will tell me when she goes but only after. Does this mean she is "on her way" to getting it and will if I stick with it a few more days or just that she's not ready because she doesn't know she needs to do it till after she's peed. Maybe I should be taking her to the bathroom more often. I don't want "her to train me" so to speak. lol
She is almost 22 months.

Advertisement

hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: early potty training

I would probably take her at regular intervals for a little bit and also ask her if she needs to use the potty a lot. She might think it was fun if you told her you were going and asked if she needs to go too. I would probably hang in there because it does sound like she has some potty awareness, it will just take some time to get it all the way but that's true whether you start training at 18 months or whether you start at 3.5 years.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

:/ I've been having bad luck (though I havn't been consistent). I thought my DD would be trained by two because she has all the signs, but I can't get her to actually go once on the potty. I'm pretty sure she's not allowing herself too, because yesterday morning she asked me to put a diaper on her after I had her on the potty.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Try naked time. When you see her going cue her with a sound like "Pssss". This will help her be aware of the feelings of eliminating. It's never too early. I do Elimination communication with my 8 month old since she was 6 months.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like she could be ready. My DD PLed at that age. We used Lora Jensens 3 day method ebook (mostly, she still pees in her sleep). I like that method because it is clear whether or not the child is ready by the end of 3 days.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Erinne
Registered Users

I second naked time and get a potty she can get to and use by herself. My dd loved her baby bjorn little potty and she could just go and use it faster than she could tell me she needed to go and get help. I just encouraged her to try every 1/2 hour or so for a week-ish and then she was doing it by herself (with misses, of course).
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does she get to see you potty? I would set her on the pot every hour or so and ask her if she needs to go. Eventually she'll get it.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote