Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #81
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: At what age do you stop calling child a "baby"?

There really isn't a set age. It's more when they grow out of things that I associate with infancy. There might be 2 20 month olds side by side and the one who is still using a paci and needs a bottle or nursing session to sleep at night is going to be seen as a baby, where I'm more likely to think of the other one as a toddler. That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with some children needing those at that age, but to me those thing associate themselves with infancy in my head. It's not a hard and fast either, just the word baby starts being used less and less to describe the child as he or she casts off baby things/behaviors.

It never goes away for my own kids - heck my my mother still calls me baby girl, and I'm in my thirties, and not the youngest child either, but it goes way down.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #82
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

once they are walking and talking pretty clearly I don't refer to them as a baby. I might call them "the baby" to my husband (meaning the youngest), but wouldn't refer to him as a baby outside of that. Around age 2?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #83
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I call both my dd's "baby" and they are definitely not babies (5 years and 15 months). I think a lot of parents call older children "baby" because it becomes an endearment over time as opposed to literally calling him/her a baby.
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #84
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just now stopped calling my 2 1/2 year old "baby" when the new baby came. I mean, he'll always be MY baby, but I needed to stop using it. I'd usually use his name, but I'd throw out an occasional "Can you change the baby?"
Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #85
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

I'm 23 and my mom still calls me her baby

But baby vs toddler I say around 1 or when they start to walk.