Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: LONG road trip with 2 yr old -- terrible idea?

I just saw fb pics of my friend from hs driving to Alaska from Kansas with her 2 year old. She looked happy so far, but they just left . I'd plan to drive about 5 hours a day and have something fun to do (just finding a park or whatever) after. My dd uses my dh's ipod touch for movies and it helps a ton. If you're taking your dog, Motel 6 always takes pets and you can find them almost anywhere.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! Everyone's given me hope
Luckily we have a ton of time to make the trip. We could take a month if we wanted to. For my own personal sanity I want to make it as quickly as possible...hopefully not much longer than a week. I'm really looking forward to the drive, but I know how quickly I get sick of being in the car so I'm trying to be realistic!

We definitely want to stop at night. We have tried driving through the night before when visiting family (14 hrs), and while DD did awesome, DH and I were so exhausted.

@dancermommy we are in GA currently but will probably visit family in MI before we leave. We saw a lot of Canada during our last trip, and this time we'd like to drive through the US and go north through WA, since there are a lot of states we haven't seen that way. I really like the idea of planning out the trip so we know our stops in advance. Having a huge dog makes that even more necessary, since we need to make sure the hotel will allow pets.

She'll probably surprise us and do better than I'm expecting. I take comfort in the fact that if it turns out to be a huge disaster, DD and I can just hop on a plane at the nearest airport and DH can finish the drive with the dog

Oh, the drive across and up to Washington is gorgeous, I've made it many times using various routes when I was much younger :-)

There's a WHOLE lot to see going that way... if you go north through south dakota you can go through the badlands, wall drug (teehee), corn palace (hey, I loved it as a kid), mt rushmore, black hills, tetons, yellowstone, etc... If you took 2 weeks, it would be an AMAZING trip and you'd have some time to stop and rest.

Good luck mama!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we just drove across the country from NC to CA, and then from Northern CA to Southern CA, followed by a flight from LAX to Honolulu, with a 26 month old and a 4 year old. It was nice to see the country from coast to coast, but I wouldn't ever want to do it again. I told dh if I had it to do again, I'd fly with the kids, and he could do that drive alone. Most days I wanted to rip my hair out and hitch a ride with someone else...if I am being completely honest. We have been staying in hotels now since June 1, and it all sounds fun until you are actually doing it!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
Oh, the drive across and up to Washington is gorgeous, I've made it many times using various routes when I was much younger :-)

There's a WHOLE lot to see going that way... if you go north through south dakota you can go through the badlands, wall drug (teehee), corn palace (hey, I loved it as a kid), mt rushmore, black hills, tetons, yellowstone, etc... If you took 2 weeks, it would be an AMAZING trip and you'd have some time to stop and rest.

Good luck mama!
You can't forget Bedrock or the Reptile Gardens. I loved those places when I was little. If yo go through SD, I don't recommend coming any farther north into ND because we have nothing, other then flat farmlands until you get to Western ND and then it's a lot of oil drills. I'd be so good working at the ND visitor's Bureau, wouldn't I?

I do agree with having a DVD player and maybe get some new DVDs that you haven't seen yet and are special for the trip. Don't forget the lovies for napping in the vehicle. My 2 1/2 year old sleeps really good in the car.

Take a break every couple hours, or so, even if it's only for 5 minutes. Have car-friendly snacks (nothing too messy or sticky), plenty to drink, kid friendly music, for when they don't want to watch a movie.