Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: How important do you think it is to grow up in a neighborhood

We own a farm out in the country and the closest neighbor is Grandma and Grandpa. We are bias, but I'd stick to raising my kids in the country vs. a town anyday...

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I'm probably bias in the other direction from you, OP. I grew up on 40 acres and we own 30 acres now. I love the freedom that my kids have and the space they have to run and play. I like that there is no nosy next door neighbor to call CPS over tiny stuff like I have seen on some of these threads. We're kind of picky about some stuff, so a lot of the kids in the neighborhood I might not want my kids playing with anyway. I like the fresh air, and open spaces that the country provides. I have plenty of room for gardens to grow my family fresh food, and room for pets and a bit of livestock. My neighbors down the road don't have any young kids (they're old), but they love my kids. Also this next part is just in my experience so please no one get mad at me, but IME, people are much kinder and laid back in the country. So I think it's important to remember that there are pros and cons to both sides. You're kids might not have a neighborhood of kids to play with, but they do have a lot of oppurtunities that other kids who live in those neighborhoods do not. Happiness really is all in how you look at things!
You are really close to Houston right? I grew up about 10 minutes outside of Houston.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Christopher View Post
You are really close to Houston right? I grew up about 10 minutes outside of Houston.
Yep! I didn't grow up in Elk Creek (although my Grandma did!), I grew up closer to Ava. We've only lived here a couple of years.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in the country. My parents have about 120+ acres and no close neighbors. We where all mostly homeschooled, at least until we hit our teen years and we played together all the time. We had friends from church that could come over or we could go there but we didn't much until we where a little older, 10+ and really more around 12-13 is when we all started to hang out more outside of church stuff. I LOVED it. We could run around the yard (my Dad kept a HUGE area mowed for the yard) or in the woods. If we wanted to swim there was a creek running through the property we could go play in. My Dad planted a really big garden every summer so if we where hungry we just went to the garden and picked something and washed it off with the hose then kept playing! We had kittens and puppies and chickens and even a baby lamb (it's mama died so a neighbor gave it too us. Only lived a few weeks sadly) and horses when we got older. It was great! We moved from Missouri to Idaho (we had a house on 3 acres in MO) for work and lived in 3rd story apartment for the first year (horrible with kids-no back yard!) the moved to a nice house in a nice neighborhood. Well the backyard has a total of 2 small/med trees and tiny garden area (we have some onions a small patch of strawberries and 3 tomato plants and it's full!). The kids can't dig in the dirt (can't mess up the grass) or climb trees or do very much so they don't like being outside very long at all. Plus on a nice day I don't open the windows because the neighbors can hear everything we say and do and we can hear them! Noise travels! And the solicitors got on my nerves so bad a put up a little sign to keep them away (which so far as worked beautifully). But growing up I didn't have to have up a sign or worry about the noise. And I want my kids to have a dog or a cat or even a pygmy goat pet and guess what, no pets allowed! We have a 2 yr lease and then I am going to insist we get a place out of town. I feel like I am stuck on this lot and everywhere around me is foreign and belongs to someone else. Not a good feeling and not something I am at all use too. Dh grew up in a neighborhood in the same house his parents are still in and he loved it. BUT he isn't friend with ANY of the kids he grew up with in the neighborhood. I on the other hand (even though we live apart) am still good friends with my friends from growing up. We chat or email and when I visit my parents there is one still kinda close to there that tries to go visit her parents so we can see each other. I want my kids to have the best start in life I can give them and I feel like that would be better with some land, out of town. I want them to be more in touch with nature and natural things and I find that very hard to do here.
ISO/IHA!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Yep! I didn't grow up in Elk Creek (although my Grandma did!), I grew up closer to Ava. We've only lived here a couple of years.
We moved away last Feb and I am still sooooo homesick. We are hoping to visit my parents this fall. Houston is such a nice town! I lived there since I was 6 I miss going shopping and people knowing who I am and asking how my Mom or sisters are. I miss people knowing me and really caring about me and my family. And I miss our Dr! Dr Wright delivered all 3 of our kids and was so so great. Hard to find a great Dr.
ISO/IHA!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the responses. It is interesting to hear everyone's views on this and socialization.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote